VAIO Z Canvas slate 12.3" @ 3:2 w/ 95% RGB...yes!

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Marty, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Could you guys help dispel an obsessive-compulsive notion I've had by telling me what you know about LCDs as it pertains to this?

I think my screen may have a small shadow immediate to the right bezel. I've been thinking that I might have caused it while I was applying the screen protector, as I squeegeed some of the air bubbles out while the device was on. As I pushed some out towards the right side, I noticed I was applying enough pressure to cause some ripples in the screen, so I stopped immediately. That was also when I noticed it seems the lighting on that edge isn't quite as healthy as it is in the other three.

It's so subtle that I doubt it would be easy to photograph. I want to think sometimes that it's the screen protector, but I can't be sure until I remove it completely, and I'm not quite ready for that. Not until I order another one, anyways. I have no idea if it was already there when I first turned the ZC on because I was only looking for dead pixels - it hadn't occurred to me to check uniformity.

Most of the searches I've done on the matter lead to essays and discussions where they say pressure-based damage usually causes light bleed (bright spots) by displacing the liquid crystals, although it's possible to cause a shadow by creating a bend in a film that is also sandwiched in the display. It's all in the context of TVs and desktop monitors, but that probably doesn't matter.

Thanks if you can take the time to give me any feedback. Hopefully the idea that I caused it is absurd, given the device is sort of designed to endure some pressure anyways as you draw on it. I can't convey how much pressure I was applying to it. The air bubbles were quite stubborn and I was bearing down, at one point, with both thumbs on the little plastic squeegee to push them out, but I was still trying to be very mindful of the amount of force I was applying.

2. ota-con

ota-con Pen Pal - Newbie

The right edge backlight on mine seems a tad weaker than the other 3 edges. I noticed it right away out of the box. It is especially noticeable on a full white screen on max brightness. I checked all videos and pics of the CV online and most seem to have this issue.

Another thing I noticed on a white background with max brightness is that the white doesn't seem very uniform...sometimes I see it and sometimes I don't...or perhaps I am going mad...

neongolden likes this.
  3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I think my screen may have a small shadow immediate to the right bezel...>>

...I just took a careful look at my ZC. In my case, the top and bottom edges of the screen show a small amount of light bleed, while both the left and right edges are (by comparison) darker. When an image is displayed, I do not see any apparent variations in irradiance anywhere on the screen.

<<...I've been thinking that I might have caused it...>>

...While anything is possible, I don't think it likely that you damaged your screen simply by pressing on it with a squeegee.

neongolden likes this.
  4. neongolden

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds precisely as otacon describes. So subtle to the point that maybe it isn't even really there.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  5. neongolden

Has anyone experienced any issues with the initial pen detection, as in a 2-4 second delay before the cursor appears beneath it, or the circle icon flashing in and out briefly as if you are trying to right click, even though you don't have any buttons pressed? This always starts to happen to me after painting for a short duration in CSP, but I'm constantly swapping between pen and touch input. Maybe the ZC drivers aren't as good at keeping up - I don't know - but I'm kind of spoiled by how consistently seamless it was back on my Duo13.

Also, on my ZC, in CSP at least, executing a swipe right after drawing with the pen is off limits. I have to give the screen a small tap with my fingertip first, otherwise it will interpret my swipe as a mere mouse movement (at which point, in a worst case scenario, I end up grabbing one of the UI elements and dislodging it).

Is it the same with you guys? It doesn't seem to happen in every app though. I tried using the pen a bunch in Chrome just to highlight things, then did the swipe and it executed fine. So thankfully, that makes it practically certain to be a software problem.

6. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have you tried changing the Wintab setting? That helped me with Manga Studio 5. Was on my Yoga 14 but was a similar experience and that solved it for me.

7. neongolden

Tried switching to Wintab in CSP and toggled the underlying settings. No change, either to the swiping or the occasional pen activation delay. Thanks nonetheless.

I'll try changing the battery in a moment, although this one shouldn't be anywhere near drained.

8. neongolden

I think it was the battery. Sorry, sometimes it isn't until after asking that even these simple solutions occur to me.

9. fredcamino

fredcamino Pen Pal - Newbie

I've definitely been experiencing the pen detection delay. You say it was the battery? What led to that conclusion, and is there a solution? Thanks!

10. ota-con

ota-con Pen Pal - Newbie

I noticed this pen delay detection for the first time yesterday while using one note for a few hours...didn't have time to troubleshoot this issue though...