VAIO Z Canvas slate 12.3" @ 3:2 w/ 95% RGB...yes!

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Marty, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

The CC2 has a couple distinct advantages over its predecessor and TPC's re-purposed for art (quality issues aside):

-this time around it can be a normal cintiq the rest of its life. This means unless it breaks, you'll never get rid of it, even when the computer is outdated.
    -the addition of 16 gigs RAM, increase in TDP to 28 watts ( a significant power increase from the first gen 17 watt TDP) means it IS more powerful.
    -You can get broadwell too. (so that means there is a tick tock tick for the companions... you can buy a ivy bridge, haswell and broadwell now)
    -the superior digitizer and drivers are still better than a TPC, even Wacom. barely noticeable to some, but still better support for artists, since that was what its intended for.

2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Big news! According to ITMedia, the VAIO tablet is going to launch on Feb 16!

That's way sooner than expected—perhaps to get the jump on the CC2?

The article also mentioned they are developing other models of the tablet. My guess would be Broadwell version.

Dam, my choice for the next tablet just got a lot harder...I was almost certainly getting the CC2 Enhanced version, but the VAIO's got a 47W processor that smokes even the vaunted T902 (not to mention PCIe SSD and super color-accurate 3:2 screen :vbbiggrin:) ! What to do?!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    ATIVQ likes this.
  3. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Isn't the Vaio smaller than the CC2?

4. Marty

It actually works out to about the same screen area:

CC2: 13.3"@16:9 -> 11.6" x 6.5" = 75.58" sq.
    VAIO: 12.5"@3:2 -> 10.4" x 6.9" = 72.12" sq.

But the 3:2 aspect ratio just feels so much nicer and balanced imo.

ATIVQ likes this.
  5. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

And Vaio is waay smaller than CC2 - this thing have a footprint of 15" laptop.

6. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

This is very tempting, even though I'm looking for a smaller tablet at the moment. If the battery runtime is decent, then I make be able to live with the non-Wacom digitiser (I don't need it to work with my Note that desperately) and larger size. I almost bought both the Duo 11 and 13, so I don't think I'll be able to resist. Plus, now that I live in Japan, it should be easy to get...

Now I need to find where my wallet has hidden. Sneaky bugger.

7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Before anyone gets too excited about the prospects for wonderful products coming from this new investment-group-owned Vaio company. All they bought from Sony was the brand name, designs for some of the last lines of Ultraboks (Pro, Flip), some parts inventory and some (limited) intellectual property. The newco is undercapitalized, will do all its manufacturing under contract (though so does Apple, but not because they can't afford to build a manufacturing plant, because it's cheaper and more efficient to use Chinese contract manufacturers) and, overall, there is little more to see but flowery white papers and a couple of prototypes. And, to see an indication of the new Vaio company's lack of focus, note this article, about a 5" midrange smarphone branded Vaio that the new company is allegedly about to release. What's that about?

Color me [very, very] skeptical. I will believe only what I see or read from credible sources is real product, real production capability, real support infrastructure and something more than hype. This is just my hunch - haven't read anything to support it - but I'm rather certain that Sony, having retained a 5% ownership in the newco, likely has the right to take the brand back if the newco doesn't show commercial progress after a certain length of time. I hope this is true and I hope that the new more positive perspectives on the resurrection of the laptop market may provide for Sony to un-divest the Vaio brand and get back in the business of producing innovative, high quality computers and other mobile devices (note: they have recently announced that they are shedding the last of the their consumer electronics products other than Play Station; there will be no more Xperia phones or tablets in the near future.

What does this all mean? Heck if I know! But one thing is for sure: you can't make a meaningful effort in the mobile computer business with an undercaptialized venture owned and operated by a small, relatively unknown investment group. If anyone can be successful making and selling computers, they have to be able to ramp up to significant volume and have the economies of scale to even begin to have a viable business selling product at even the highest premium price points when the likes of Apple, Lenovo, Dell and HP are out there buying components at likely 50% of the price this new Vaio will pay at its tiny volume levels.

I hope I am wrong about all of this. I hope we soon see Japanese distribution of these lovely, consumer-influenced Vaio computers as represented by the white papers and prototypes under glass. My worst fear is that I'm right. :vbrolleyes:

8. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

Going off-topic here, but I can't find anything other than rumours that Sony is planning to leave the consumer electronics market completely.

Regarding the quality of their products; they always seem to be among the best, if not the best, but always with some part that is broken. I have a sports mp3 player from them that came apart, and the Z1, while a good phone had that silly film, and mine has a seriously degraded battery. The recent Pro line of laptops had wifi issues.

9. Marty

I would say that's being a little too pessimistic. They had the confidence (and marketing $) to show this off at Adobe MAX and hold special press events at Sony stores in Japan. I'm pretty sure this is a real product with real manufacturing/distribution capabilities behind it.

I agree that Sony probably is still very concerned with the reputation of the VAIO brand (which is still synonymous with upscale electronics in Japan). That's a good thing, as it will keep Vaio Corp. on it's toes.

But from all reports, the team seems to really be creating a tablet worthy of the Vaio Z name. That's no small praise, as imo, the Vaio Z's were seriously the best laptops you could buy for their size.

Aw man, you make me want to pick up and move to Japan! :D Think you could help get one if it ends up being Japan only?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

From your lips to [supreme being of your choice's] ears!!