VAIO Z Canvas slate 12.3" @ 3:2 w/ 95% RGB...yes!

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Marty, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ota-con

ota-con Pen Pal - Newbie

How exciting! :)
    Do you have info on which type of shipping VAIO uses?

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

2. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

They use Fedex Ground.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Got my shipping notice also. Unfortunately, it's still too early to get any arrival timeline; that probably won't be available until tomorrow morning...

Assuming that the shipment is originating somewhere within the US, my guess is that it will be 3 to 5 days in transit.

4. freya301

freya301 Pen Pal - Newbie

Checked out the Z canvas at the ms store. Sadly, I couldn't run powercfg /batteryreport due to improved security at the store, so I had to gauge battery life the old fashioned way - I was able to kill 10% of the battery over 10 minutes, wifi on full brightness, avg CPU under 20%, but spun up to 3ghz. Not encouraging, but I understand other owners say it will last a flight, so... Other thoughts - screen seemed crisp, but not very bright. When standing over the device looking down, light bleed along the bottom edge is very clear. Looking at the machine dead on, however, and light bleed is imperceptible. Pen accuracy was great, much like other ntrig devices. Hover distance too short, again like the sp3. Fans were barely warm, couldn't hear them at all. The keyboard has a nice layout, but should be angled IMHO. I wish they sold it optionally. The pen has two buttons, both flush with the barrel, which I hate. Since there is no pen silo, i think the buttons should be easy to feel for without looking. Quick action Buttons on top left and right shoulders of the tablet engage a handy overlay on the left, while the right button toggles the touch-screen. All of this is nice and configurable. Of course, the thing was fast as heck and lag free. I found the hinge to be too bouncy for quick strokes, but then I prefer to draw down flat anyhow.

5. markj

markj Pen Pal - Newbie

6. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not really too impressed by the reddit discussion thus far. They get downright vitriolic about the price but then talk about the CC2, where the top line costs $2500 and has inferior specs across the board. Granted, it's not that simple (you're paying for other things like the returns infrastructure, customer service, R&D, and whatever else), but you get the idea. When I had my CC2, I would have ended up paying a little more than my Z Canvas (!) because I needed classic pen ($70) and was about to pay $100 for a nice logitech keyboard. I would rather have this 4770HQ beast, with a modular pen that I already like, and the keyboard that doubles as a protective cover.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  7. markj

markj Pen Pal - Newbie

Also I don't think its really a bad deal compared to the top i7 SP3+keyboard cover, that would have set you back about ~2000$ too without discounts. I would say if care about performance and can live with the weight its quite good.

8. ota-con

ota-con Pen Pal - Newbie

So what do you guys think of the new SP4 and SP Book?

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

9. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The SP4 is right about what I expected.

But man, I gotta say, I think that Surface Book Pro is right on the money. Really glad I waited to see what they announced. Seams to be the perfect blend...true laptop experience, descrete graphics, larger screen, detachable tablet, and stylus. At first blush, it appears to be the complete package.

10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well, from the SP4 thread, it appears as if the Surface Book may have made some low level changes to the digitizer/pen:

Hopefully jnjroach will be able to fill us in on the exact details after that meeting, so far the info about the increased polling rate and broadcast power on the pen transmitter looks promising.

It remains to be seen if these are firmware changes that can be back applied to old DuoSense2 boards, but this post by dstrauss makes this hopeful:

That means, it's possible that the Canvas will gain additional stylus performance with a firmware/driver update + new Surface pen. :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.