VAIO Z Canvas slate 12.3" @ 3:2 w/ 95% RGB...yes!

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Marty, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Go, go, go! :thumbsup: Represent!

Tip: If you find troubles with jap vocab, just use google translate w/voice, to give your feedback...they'll understand enough :vbbiggrin:

2. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

So the concierge tried to get me in, but apparently it's been full for a month. Oh well. I'll go on Sunday and see it under glass. Better than nothing.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. Marty

Aw, kinda reminds me of me wanting to go AKB48 two days before the show! :vbbiggrin:

But maybe...you can convince the guy at the booth to take it out (and possibly give you a little hands on time) :vbsmile:

Tell us how it goes!

4. Marty

1. No, and N-Trig does not support pen programming (as yet) even on the normal 2-button pens :(

2. The Vaio Slate has an i7-4760HQ which scores about the same as the M4800's i7-4810MQ. This is assuming it does not throttle. But given the legacy of full-voltage processors in the Vaio Z series, I am hopeful :)

3. If you got the $$$, you could always import it :D

Allarih likes this.
  5. FenderP

Quick note. Saw the tablet under proverbial glass the other day. Looks pretty good, but I'm definitely not sold on the keyboard. Looks like the Tap 11's (maybe a touch better ... remains to be seen) with an upgraded trackpad (the Tap 11's left something to be desired to say the least). Granted, I couldn't touch it nor was it powered on.

On the left side are two USB 3.0 ports, the SD card reader, the mini-DV (or whatever it is - same port as the SP3 it looks like to put a VGA adapter), HDMI (full), the drop down ethernet (like the Duo 11), and the place to plug in power.

The right side just had a power button and a volume rocker, as well as a holder for the pen (which I'm assuming is a clip on thing).

The top had vents (lots of 'em!) and two buttons which I am not sure what they do.

The hinge on the back to angle the tablet looked interesting and sturdy. IMO a better solution than the Tap 11, but it won't be lapable (as the SP3 kinda is) given how small it is. You'd have to use this just as a tablet OR on a surface as more of a laptop.

The back under the hinge had a sticker that it was not for sale in the US and not tested by the FCC. For it to be released it will most likely go through FCC testing even if it's only sold in Japan. This is the case with most products.

I saw enough that I'm definitely intrigued, and will most likely import it when it's available. I highly doubt that they will release it worldwide, but who knows.

neongolden, Marty and bloodycape like this.
  6. Marty

Must have tough going all that way just to look...was it at least on so you could see the 95% Adobe RGB display?

7. FenderP

It was within walking distance from my hotel. No big deal to go.

Didn't see the display. As I said in my post "Granted, I couldn't touch it nor was it powered on."

8. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

Is there are any mentions of weight of this beast? I can't find any.

9. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Well guys, the Cintiq Companion 2 was revealed not long ago, and I'm very open to opinions, but as far as I can tell, it's quite underwhelming. As someone in the dedicated thread mentioned, they wished Wacom could have timed it with Intel's "tick" cycle instead of a "tock". It's just another Core U system, the price range has hardly changed at all... Seems there is virtually no difference in the form factor. It is nice that Wacom ironed out the deficiency where strokes branched off uncontrollably towards the edges of the screen.

So, all I'm saying in the context of this thread is the CC2 did nothing to diminish my desire for this Vaio. It's going to be insanely expensive, but it may actually be a DEAL depending on the HDD size of their starting $1800-ish model. I mean, you'd get a quad core system compared to what's in the CC2, and the CC2 doesn't even have an impressive battery life; they say it's only going to be 4.5 hours. What's up with that?

Guess all that remains is to see what MS is planning to offer in the SP4.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  10. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Scribbler - Standard Member

I feel your pain...