VAIO Z Canvas slate 12.3" @ 3:2 w/ 95% RGB...yes!

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Marty, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hydroninja9

hydroninja9 Pen Pal - Newbie

Wouldn't getting a Z be a better option for people who want to have good battery life. I get around 8-10 hours.

2. Ross

Ross Pen Pal - Newbie

I know this thread is about the Canvas, but I am interested in the regular Z. Where is the best place to buy this thing in the USA? Also, would you guys expect a refresh on this system soon?

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I am interested in the regular Z. Where is the best place to buy this thing in the USA?..>>

...Check eBay and Amazon. However, expect to pay a premium because the word on the street is that VAIO isn't bringing the VAIO Z to the US; only the Z Canvas. If that is true, you'll have to pay to import your VAIO Z from Japan. There's also this site:

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/vaio-z-...vc:c|adp:1o3&gclid=CKH_55jV7ccCFdgUgQodk7AHgA

...and PriceJapan:

http://pricejapan.com/front/e_main_page.php

<<...Also, would you guys expect a refresh on this system soon?..>>

...It has been claimed that (Sony?) VAIO was refreshed (updated) once or twice a year (I think...). HOWEVER, it remains to be seen if the new VAIO continues that practice or not. My suspicion is that it will be a while before we see any VAIO refreshes because, as a new enterprise, VAIO probably needs to generate a decent revenue return on their existing models before they start the next update cycle. Note that's just my opinion, not a documented fact...

4. Ross

Ross Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you so much for the response, Steve. I am debating waiting to see some details for Vaio in the US, but like you said, it doesn't sound like the regular Z is coming. I use my laptop on my lap on the couch a lot, and I didn't like the SP3 because of that. Therefore, that is why I am thinking the Z is the option for me.

5. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

I got the Buzzhouse Design leather sleeve for the Z Canvas today. It's really nice and IMO, worth the money.

Under normal usage I get between 6 - 8 on a full battery charge. I did a cross country flight no problem with the Z Canvas. Keep in mind this isn't a U processor. This is a seriously powered machine with crazy cooling ;)

Starlight5 likes this.
  6. Starlight5

Starlight5 Yes, I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

7. FenderP

Nope. The Duo 11, which was a U processor and heavier than the Z Canvas, got 4 - 4.5 without the sheet battery and about 7 - 8 (maybe) with the sheet. The sheet also added a pound or so of weight. Yes, something like the regular Z will probably get better battery life; I don't think anyone would dispute that.

The RZ4 with a Core M gets about 6 on its puny battery (albeit I can swap batteries). I'm more disappointed there than here. I was hoping to get 4. I would say realistically 6 - 6.5 is the average you'll get here which is about at the rated 7 - 7.5. Vaio really did a good job here balancing power, features, and battery life.

Now, if you're doing heavy graphics work or like me, VMs, would it last 6+ hours? Probably not - but neither will most machines.

Hell, look at the iPad Pro - 10h? Sure, that's a full work day but not impressive battery life at all.

Keep all of this in perspective if you're looking at getting the Z Canvas. It's a quirky machine in terms of form factor that is very true to the Sony and Vaio roots - no doubt about that. It harkens back to a design like the U70P for me (also my first Vaio). It's become my main computer. The one thing I am glad they got right was the keyboard. It was my biggest concern, and I'm glad it wasn't founded. Ironically, I charge the keyboard more than anything else if I'm doing a lot of work (currently writing a book, so ...). I'd say under heavy use that gets charged every couple of days, and takes maybe an hour or so to charge.

The only place the Z Canvas is a bit weird is on a plane, but less so than a Surface Pro 3. The detachable keyboard helps here whereas on the SP3, there's no good way to handle that IMO having tried it last year. Things like this matter to me as someone who travels a lot for work. A traditional clamshell like the RZ4 will win the day in these scenarios every single time, but I was pleasantly surprised how well the Z Canvas did work on a plane. I'm on the road pretty solid this fall, so it'll be getting the airline torture test :)

stormi likes this.
  8. FenderP

A lot of Japanese manufacturers used to do at least one major refresh per year, and maybe another 1 - 3 minor ones (colors, slight processor change, etc.). Given the economics, most don't do that. Panasonic still does. Vaio has been slower to do that but they also said that (paraphrasing, of course) they want to have more "evergreen" designs and do not want to keep reinventing the wheel (Duo 11 to 13 anyone?). Although, you look at what they first brought out - the Pro 11 and 13, and now we have the refined 13 mk2. Vaio started simply with the "reintroduction" of the Pro 11 and 13, and went from there.

It's inevitable the Z Canvas will, at some point - and maybe even for the US launch, get Skylake. I'm cool with that. I don't feel cheated. I would be surprised if they fundamentally overhaul it quickly, though.

9. hydroninja9

hydroninja9 Pen Pal - Newbie

For those interested in importing the Z , Denkify (the site that I used to get it) is importing it from japan on Amazon for $2000 for a core i7 , 256gb ssd. It takes around 2 weeks or so to be delivered and comes with pretty simple instructions to make the OS language English. I will say this about the Z. I have never drained it fully or even gotten it to under 20% with my regular use. For anyone else interested , check out my video review of it. The first and only English video review:

ininjame and stormi like this.
  10. Ross

Ross Pen Pal - Newbie

Is the Canvas usable on the lap? I tried the SP3 but ultimately couldn't use it on my lap so it didn't work for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.