VAIO Z Canvas slate 12.3" @ 3:2 w/ 95% RGB...yes!

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Marty, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markj

markj Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone with a Canvas feel the colors are very red? I have to say my colors are very red shifted, or intense at the red spectrum almost to the verge that I think it must be calibrated incorrectly.

2. tokr21

tokr21 Pen Pal - Newbie

"very red" is very subjective. I guess you might mistake reddish with color temperature, which aims to be 6500K (standard for graphic designers/photographers). Nowadays many manufacturers set their displays to be 9300K or even more blueish as white appears more white in many lighting conditions. If you compare to common tablet/laptop/phone then this might be the case. If you have TV with THX mode (which also aims 6500K) try comparing bright image at both of them. If they appear to be simmilar then you have your answer.

Of course it might be faulty unit, but from my experience many people describe 6500K displays as "reddish".

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

As Skylake availability continues to firm up, am I the only one that is starting to think that the Z Canvas is going to be noticeably behind the times when it gets to the US in the Fall? Its processor is going to be two generations old and Skylake performance is not going to be that far behind... Well, Z Canvas graphics will still be better, but the gap is certainly going to be a lot narrower for the price that they will be asking...

4. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wishful thinking I know, but maybe, just maybe, it would keep the price down, or at least put it at a price point more people could afford... Buuuut most likely not.

-Chris

5. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

There's always something newer, better. Sure, Intel has the tick/tock, but I don't see Skylake drastically improving performance or battery life (i.e. it's not going to double). I've used this thing pretty extensively over the past month, I did a battery test flying back home from the West Coast and I still had juice left. I was doing normal tasks (surfing the web via Wifi and GoGo, default power plan with slightly dimmed screen, Word, etc.). The Duo 11 could not have made a transcon without the additional sheet battery (which added weight).

Using the Z Canvas on a plane is not as bad as the SP3, but it's not as "easy" as a clamshell. I took some pics I'll post at some point.

I still have zero regrets about purchasing the current incarnation of the Z Canvas. It's silent, powerful, and runs what I do better than any laptop I've had to date.

czm2000 likes this.
  6. Seel

Seel Pen Pal - Newbie

While skylake will be faster clock for clock, this one will still clock higher and have 4 cores instead of 2. I doubt we'll see any other tablets with 4 cores anytime soon.

7. Vaga

Vaga Scribbler - Standard Member

Skylake brings thunderbolt 3 and usb c native compatibility along with h265 hardware accelerated encoding/decoding. It's actually a pretty significant processor update.

8. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah any device that won't use use 47W HQ processors will be far behind the Z Canvas, even with Skylake. The performance improvements in the last 2 generations were minimal. However there are some improvements in graphics performance and battery lifetime.
    Also Skylake mobile H processors will get an even bigger exansion stage in graphics (GT4e) with 50% more execution units and "up to 50% more performance".
    (http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?s=0d890ff647bdf0b450c877bded901d7a&p=37388000&postcount=561)

9. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

Considering the lack of support in PCs for Thunderbolt to date, I don't see that as a big plus. USB C is nice but it's going to take a few years for people in the PC world to retool. Look how long it took to get people to bit on USB 3.0 (and do it properly). I don't do a lot of video/graphics work so the encoding/decoding won't buy me anything. In other words, Skylake doesn't offer me much that I need. Someone else might, and that's understandable.

My issue with all the battery life claims is I've heard it in nearly every new Intel marketing blurb for the past 10 years when it winds up being maybe an hour, two if you're lucky. Granted that would get the Z Canvas closer to 10h, but battery life to get me through a transcon is good enough. Like I said, for me, the graphics stuff is meaningless. I can run many VMs and this thing stays silent and cool. That was why I got this and it succeeds.

Vaga likes this.
  10. ota-con

ota-con Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone with the Canvas Z running Win 10 yet? TIA!

Vaga likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.