VAIO Z Canvas slate 12.3" @ 3:2 w/ 95% RGB...yes!

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Marty, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Has anyone also noticed that the Japanese PC market seems more "boutique" than the rest of the world in general? Over there, notebooks are much more associated with professional use than in NA or Europe.

I think that's the main driver for all the generally higher power tablet PCs coming out from Japan vs. all the Atom powered consumer slates in the rest of the world. The Japanese view these primarily as productivity devices. So naturally, they are priced much higher...

Which still is a great thing imo!

Otherwise we'd hardly ever get any new Wacom-enabled, Core-series slates.

Moreover, there is a much greater emphasis on the drawing applications for tablet PCs. Almost all Japanese techsite reviews of stylus-enabled tablets have a section dedicated to art performance, whereas in media reviews over here, it's barely an afterthought :(.

Guys I think we were born on the wrong continent...:p

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  2. Marty

If anyone is in Japan, VAIO is going to have four exclusive showings of these slates in the Nagoya (Nov 22) and Ginza (Dec 6) Sony stores. They are only taking twenty people for each session, so somebody sign up fast!

In this article, you can see VAIO is really emphasizing getting as much feedback as possible from creative professionals. Added to their Adobe MAX event, this is the most public effort I've seen any OEM put into beta-testing a tablet. So far I'm really liking this new company's approach. :thumbsup:

This is a great opportunity for someone like Rick to represent us up there and help make the dream tablet! :vbcool:

Oh if only I were in Japan...

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    stoneseeker likes this.
  3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I agree, I really want to voice my support of their approach and creative pro niche market aim. I wish there was a way to let them know we are amped on the direction they are taking it.

4. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

At Adobe MAX, artist Rayce Bird did a panel presentation showcasing the VAIO and I also got to scribble on the prototype briefly. It performed very similarly to any other i7 N-Trig device.

5. Marty

Did you get a chance to provide any feedback, such as reducing hover lag and improving tracking of fine movements? I would really like to show them the precision problems when working with small UI handles, especially in programs like Illustrator.

If they could fix the hover responsiveness, that would be the best thing to happen since spaghetti and meat sauce!

6. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Any impressions on the design of the prototype? How was the stand compared to other devices (ie Companion and Surface Pro)? Or the 95% Adobe RGB?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  7. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

What's sad is I'll be in Japan then and I am staying in Ginza, but don't speak Japanese so can't call and make a reservation. Dammit.

8. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Get someone to make the reservation for you over the phone, then improvise once you are there. ;)

9. Marty

I agree with this strategy ;)

10. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, when I get to the hotel maybe I'll see if the concierge can arrange it. If I do, I'll definitely report back since I have owned (or still own) the Duo 11, Tap 11, and Surface Pro 3.

EDIT: Actually, if you look at the bottom, it will be on regular display on the 3rd floor on Sunday the 7th. I'm so there! You won't get the hands on and it'll apparently be behind a case, but it'll give me a good idea. The thing I'm most skeptical of is the keyboard. Was OK on the Duo 11, hated the Tap 11, and the SP3 is no picnic.