VAIO Z Canvas slate 12.3" @ 3:2 w/ 95% RGB...yes!

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Marty, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey Fender, how did the battery hold up for your flight? I don't think you mentioned that yet.

2. ota-con

ota-con Pen Pal - Newbie

I am also interested in battery life...

3. FtYoU

FtYoU Pen Pal - Newbie

Me too.

EDIT : Just received mine and I was playing with it all night so here my quick review on it :
    • Battery life is just fine, I got a little more than the SP3 which is nice
    • Fan are overwhelming calm, I was expecting really loud fan with this hardware. They are even less noticeable than my Vaio Z and this guy is already really quiet.
    • Colors are fantastic, movies are really watchable
    • the keyboard is really light yet sturdy. It work remotely which is really good for me since i can put it in my lap and the tablet on my coffee table. I was also really suprised that the keyboard work on ubuntu out of the box without the need to install drivers.
    • Ubuntu is just perfect on this machine, everything is supported ( not like SP# where you have to recompile a kernel with the keyboard drivers ).
    • The tablet feel really strong, you will have a hard time breaking it.
    • The pen is just the regular N-trig pen so the same as SP3.
    • Not so much bloatware out of the box, just 3-4 painting app.
    • Games run surprisingly good on this, I knew the iris pro 5200 was really capable but running bioshock infinite is just a different experience.
    • You really feel like power at your fingertips.
    • The hinge is as expected, soft on the way up and really strong on the way back.
    • You can draw on the tablet on a table without it falling.
    • When the keyboard is on the tablet it act as a cover, and the overall design of the machine is really nice, I think it's about the same thickness as a macbook pro 13".
    Now things i don't like :
    • In tablet mode you have the fan blowing on one of your hand.
    • the keyboard is not grippy at all on a flat table surface.
    • The tablet is not really lapable, but it is usable with both legs closed
    • I wish it could come in black .... but it seems that the fingerprints were really bad on the proto
    • the pen holder is a nice addition but holding the tablet with it is not really confortable. I guess it is best for artist that will never hold the tablet in their hands to play.
    All in all I have never been so happy owning a product of this quality (SP3 came close but the weak hardware and the temperature was a deal breaker.

Do no hesitate to ask anything.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    stormi, pagugu, stoneseeker and 3 others like this.
  4. markj

markj Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the writeup FtYoU. I'm interested in how Ubuntu works. Did you install it or ran it from a USB drive? Also does the touchscreen and pen input work (I understand that's a problem with the SPros and linux)?

5. FtYoU

FtYoU Pen Pal - Newbie

I did both. Install and live cd works perfectly. Pen and touch input needs calibration but nothing hard to handle. I absolutly live gnome interface with touch input on the tablet its like the OS was made for it. I also had the grub breaking my windows boot that i fixed with boot-repair tool. Everything works out of the box regarding the wifi and the keyboard. A nice surprise after everything i did with the SP 3

6. palkro

palkro Pen Pal - Newbie

Awesome review FtYoU. I would be interested on the gaming performance. Very few vids on iris pro 5200 gaming...

7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Sorry if I already asked this, but will you be doing any painting or drawing on this? Would love to hear your feedback on the N-trig. Also, I realize its the same pen, but is the Vaio specific driver anything special?

Vlad1214 likes this.
  8. FtYoU

FtYoU Pen Pal - Newbie

I Have a lot of games i could run the tablet against, but as of now I tried Bioshock infinite (low settings), outlast (high). The tablet perform really good. I get decent fps on bioshock and outlast was > 60 fps. I haven't tried in performance mode also so I guess it's even better :). I will try to run some more games and keep you updated.

Intersting enough I have the feeling onenote feel more sluggish than on the SP3, but again I sold my SP so I can't compare side by side. I can try to compare against the vaio Z though. I don't plan any painting but the app provided perform decently ( just like the video you can find on youtube ). More interesting, Xournal the note taking app on ubuntu is a blast ! really responsive. I do not know if the plastic protective film play any role (good or bad) in this, but as of right now it is still on.

Side notes :
    • The keyboard needs to be really close for the trackpad to run smoothly on UBUNTU, Windows seems fine with any regular distances.
    • The fan are never really loud, even gaming. I have the feeling they did a nice job optimizing this.

stoneseeker likes this.
  9. ota-con

ota-con Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for all the info! What are the specs of your Canvas?

10. FtYoU

FtYoU Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine is 500Gb storage intel iris pro 5200 core i7

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.