VAIO Z Canvas slate 12.3" @ 3:2 w/ 95% RGB...yes!

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Marty, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

It was the same way with my Vaio TT. I don't think I ever turned it on, but it was nice to know it was there. How is the pen? Same one as previous Vaios? What about the speakers?

Vlad1214 likes this.
  2. markj

markj Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the report. How did you change to English, was it difficult?

3. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Hearing that the menus all transition gracefully to English makes it harder to wait for its US release date :(

That's so awesome to hear about the keyboard in particular.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Hearing that the menus all transition gracefully to English...>>

...Actually, that's something that I wanted to ask about. In my experience, changing Windows from its original language to a different language doesn't cause everything to switch over; just most of it. Is the transition really complete?

5. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

The pen seems fine; I used it for a minute. I'll never use that much except when presenting. The pen seems to be similar to the one that shipped with the Tap 11 (and I assume the Duo 13). It may be slightly different; I have not done an A-B comparison.

The speakers seem plenty loud. I wouldn't use it for critical audio applications if I was mixing an album, but they are louder than many laptop speakers I've had.

I've done it before but if you have no road map, it is not necessarily intuitive. It's basically two things: adding the right language keyboard (which you can do at Setup) and then adding the language pack which has to be downloaded.

For everything in Windows and any program that supports English, yes. Since it is 8.1 Pro, you can do this. If it was not, this would not be possible without a reinstall. The only exception, and it's not really Windows, is when you want to get into UEFI, that selection screen is in Japanese but it's very clear where to touch BIOS.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the keyboard so far. Having used both the Tap 11 as well as the type cover for the SP3, this is leaps and bounds above in my opinion. It has the regular travel of a nomal keyboard - or close to it. I have the Japanese keyboard (wanted it vs. the US; I'm used to a Japanese keyboard these days), but I would expect the US English version to have the same feel. I'm not struggling to type at all which is good, because I'm writing a book for work.And a bigger plus: no random disconnects so far :)

The trackpad is also much improved over both the Tap 11 and Pro 13. The one on the Pro 13 was garbage. Tap 11 was not stellar but more usable to me. I'm getting used to it, but it is also WAY better than the one on the SP3 type cover.

There have already been two updates: BIOS and Control Center. Both installed without a hitch and gave me English dialogs to do so. The BIOS update reset VT-x, so I had to re-enable it. One of the main reasons I got this was to have a powerful VM machine in a small, lightweight size so I would have been upset if Vaio locked the capability to enable virtualization.

The AC adapter is also different than the Tap 11.

Hope this helps.

neongolden, bloodycape and markj like this.
  6. FenderP

Here's a pic showing the pen settings in Vaio Control Center in English.

Attached Files:

neongolden likes this.
  7. FenderP

And here is a pic with quite a few of the dialogs in English showing that once you convert the OS, it really is English.

Attached Files:

8. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

This really has me nostalgic for my old Vaio TT. Almost makes me want to get one, or the new Vaio Z Flip(or whatever it's called).

9. ota-con

ota-con Pen Pal - Newbie

Congrats on your new Z FenderP!!!
    I am seriously considering purchasing the Canvas Z.
    How much did it cost you?

10. FtYoU

FtYoU Pen Pal - Newbie

Did you try to attach the keyboard via mini usb ? I am wondering if this needs a driver to work or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.