VAIO Z Canvas slate 12.3" @ 3:2 w/ 95% RGB...yes!

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Marty, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UprightBlue

UprightBlue Pen Pal - Newbie

I couldn't find anything about this from the last few pages, but it looks like the Vaio Z Canvas is getting a US release in a few months according to http://us.vaio.com/

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

It's not just the brushes that are fast there -even large brushes-, everything is fast and smooth.
    See when he uses the transform tool to scale something for example:

Other apps I tried like Bamboo Paper or the Adobe apps had more or less the same brush responsiveness, but not the overall great performance of Procreate.
    Obviously it had its limitatations due to hardware limits but it's still my "painting software to beat"

Clip Studio is a good software, I appreciate it. It has also some good interface personalization, so I can get probably even more minimal than this
    Cattura-di-schermata-(9).jpg
    It's just that Photoshop CC has a little more things for my taste: I like to have the interface as out of the way as possible and Photoshop with its auto-closing panels alllows me just that
    Cattura-di-schermata-(7).jpg
    Not counting brushes and tools I need that make my life easier and I have no clue if I can find theme in CSP too.
    (the two fingers double tap for instance it's just something I can't live without now :D )

3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

It gets better obviously, or I woukd have never invested on an SP3 i5 selling the i3! :D
    At the normal speed an average person uses a pencil it's something barely noticeable and drawing things is just fine.
    Don't know if this can help, I took it with my phone back when I had the i3, in fact it doesn't handle brushstrokes as fast as the i5...

4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Interesting, my PS layout panel is almost exactly like yours. Hive five portrait mode artists!

The auto-collapsing panels in PS are a plus and minus, since you can only open one panel at a time. In CSP you can set panel groups, where clicking on one icon opens the whole group.

Within each group, you can also set alternate panels. For example in my "Brush Panels" group I usually have the Color Mixer in slot 2:
    Capture1.PNG

But I can also set slot 2 to default to the Color Value panel when I am focusing on just one tone:
    Capture2.PNG

So all in all, this panel behavior is usually more useful to me than having a single auto-collapsing panel. Of course, I also wish CSP panels could auto-collapse too when you start drawing. :vbwink:

One these days, we need to gather every digitizer and actually use frame-by-frame input lag analysis, and get hard numbers for stroke lag (and hover lag while we're at it). I hate how we always have to rely on such subjective terms when rating this crucial aspect of digitizer performance.

Oh great, now I need to get an iPad.

I'm already torn between the N-Trig on Canvas/SP4, good-old Wacom UD, Wacom DTK on the CC, and Wacom AES if the TPY14/15 ever get them. I don't need to add Apple to the mix! :vbmad:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    neongolden likes this.
  5. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

My Z Canvas will be delivered by Wednesday. It shipped from Japan on Friday.

6. FenderP

Picked up the Z Canvas a few hours ago. I just had a chance to unbox it and play with it a little. I've converted it to English already. A few quick thoughts:
    • Build quality is great. Amazing, really. Welcome back, Vaio. Even the little things like how the ethernet port flips down feels like it's not cheap and won't break.
    • I got it with the screen protector put on it already. Glad I did as it is not only NOT available (yet) to buy, but they put it on perfect
    • The hinge is incredibly sturdy. They took the Tap idea, turned it on its head, and made it not only better, but IMO, trumps what the Surface did as well with the 3/Pro 3. All the videos are true: changing the angle meets with resistance,
    • Once you change Windows to English, things like Vaio Control Center and pushing the buttons at the top also come up in English. This is good news.
    • I love the fact you can turn off the touchscreen. I wonder if it will affect battery life in a positive way.
    • I have not tried any inking yet.
    • The keyboard is the anti-Tap 11 keyboard and trounces the one on the Pro 13 which I hated. It's a "normal" keyboard feel with nice sized keys and lots of travel.
    • There is 1TB in here, but it's formatted as two 512s, not RAIDed, out of the box.
    • Vaio included a TransferJet adapter.
    • Curious how well this will work on a plane. I'll find out soon.

That is all for now. Have to get back to work.

7. pagugu

pagugu Pen Pal - Newbie

Totally psyched for you, FenderP! I can't wait to hear more first-hand experiences with this device!

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Yep. Have to pay for that Z Canvas.:rolleyes: Congratulations. We'll be waiting for more. Pictures too.

9. FenderP

Just discovered that VT-x (the virtualization stuff) is disabled out of the box. Luckily Vaio didn't lock UEFI down and hide that option on the Z Canvas.

No major issues yet that couldn't be solved ...

10. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

It was the same way with my Vaio TT. I don't think I ever turned it on, but it was nice to know it was there. How is the pen? Same one as previous Vaios? What about the speakers?

Vlad1214 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.