VAIO Z Canvas slate 12.3" @ 3:2 w/ 95% RGB...yes!

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Marty, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I was going to pass until I read the magic word: Quad! Might be tempted...

3. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

OMG, this is awesome. Hope there will be an option to buy it outside of Japan.

4. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just thought I'd share some highlights from the ITmedia preview:

First off, it's stated several times that the tablet is being deliberately designed for creative professionals (yeah!). Here is one example (google translated):

"This time focusing on the high-performance PC is required of artist, creative activities without being tied to desk, anywhere so that you can the inspiration and ideas to shape as digital data, to achieve the desktop PC level of performance..."​

The 3:2 screen has a gamut of the screen is actually 95-97% of Adobe RGB and is a 250ppi IPS panel. I believe this makes it the highest gamut display ever on a tablet PC. Here is a comparison to the SP3 (75% Adobe RGB):

[​IMG]

The back features a friction hinge:

Though does it have some flex when resting the palm compared to the SP3:

The pen is magnetically attachable, in addition to having a holster:
    pen.PNG

There is some lag when doing fast circles compared to Wacom:

However, VAIO is saying that they are working with "prominent creators and illustrators" to gather feedback for "more natural and accurate pen input".

The writer speculates that VAIO may wait until Summer 2015 to release with Broadwell H rather than Haswell H. (fingers crossed)

So all-in-all, I would have to say this is getting darn close to an artist's "dream tablet"...color me excited! :D

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
    bloodycape likes this.
  6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I believe I am as excited about the design and features of this/these prototype(s) (the japanese translations doesn't make it clear if they are doing only one size/type or several), But......

The idea that the new Vaio incarnation will ever become a mainstream, decent volume, US distribution and support company seems remote and very far off. There is just so much more to manufacturing, distribution and support than a very intelligent designer turned loose to design an incredibly appealing "boutique" product that will have to sell for thousands of dollars, maybe up to $5,000, for it to make money for this clearly small, undercapitalized company. Their apparent orientation towards niche, high end products is, unfortunately, an indication that they will have a tough go even with one or two models sold in Japan only, much less the critical mass and resources to distribute remotely affordable devices worldwide.

I have owned all three Z's and was/am a total fanboy, but I am highly skeptical from what I read that any but those who live in or travel to Japan will ever see these, and equally skeptical that they will be able to price them to be remotely affordable for any but the top 1%-ers.

One can dream, one can hope (and we should do both), but one should not hold one's breath waiting for these to adorn one's office or studio anytime soon, if at all. o_O;):(. And I am definitely One!!! :D

7. Allarih

I'm afraid you are right. But let's hope for the best, shall we? They (new Vaio) bought Sony laptop division with all its manufacturing and distribution, right? They don't have to start at the square one.

8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Well, you can't really buy distribution if you don't have products to push through. Imagine Best Buy, that went from stocking 6-10 models at any given time and now are at zero, and will be for years. The new Vaio will retain brand cache w/consumers for a while, i'm, but retailers will be quite wary until they see proof the company can do high volume, reasonable quality and support. As for manufacturing, I doubt the new company bought more than inventory and perhaps some modest mfg space and specialized equipment, but there's no indication this is anything but a boutique player with boutique assets. Compare this with Lenovo's recent purchase of Motorola and you can appreciate the difference in scale.

But let's keep hoping for Vaio, shall we?!! I have 3 of them home and those four letters keep staring up at me as if to say: "where are our young replacements?" (Begins to worry about himself thinking computers are talking to him )

9. Allarih

I hope Vaio will rise again as a "MacBook of a PC world" I have Vaio Duo and there are still no better convertible design on the market - aside from Vaio Flip.

10. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, what a gorgeous device. My only hope is that Wacom updates the Cintiq Companion by the time it comes out, giving us artists living outside of Japan a greater alternative, if not the Surface Pro 4. Otherwise, I may have to import this, but who knows what inconveniences would follow in terms of warranty and tech support. Perhaps not many. I can't quite remember from my days importing video game hardware from Play-Asia, but I think they had warranties.