VAIO Z Canvas slate 12.3" @ 3:2 w/ 95% RGB...yes!

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Marty, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Thunderbolt 3 will share the same interface as the USB-C, and offer PCIe 3.0 x4 lanes of bandwidth for external graphics.

I don't think any graphics card so far has maxed out completely 4 lanes, so you're looking at current, cutting-edge desktop graphics...that is, when some OEM actually gets around to making a TB3 eGPU case! :p

2. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

I seriously doubt Vaio's roadmap for the Z Canvas is to have an external GPU.

3. Marty

The previous Vaio Z had an Light Peak external GPU dock. So actually, I think an eGPU dock is quite likely for a Skylake refresh. :)

4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Haha, well I am a little bit interested to say the least. At this point we are considering a large move to either the other side of the country, or even to Germany for a couple years. So now may not be the best time to make such a large investment... If my T902 just up and craps out on me, I may be forced to do expensive "science" for the team here though!

bloodycape likes this.
  5. Marty

I believe you have been saying that for the past 2 years, lol...it's funny, some of us are deathly afraid of jinxing are machines to fail, and some us are just daring machines to failing...I love these forums.

Cmon, stone, spoil yourself a little. If you give it rave reviews, I'll be the next to follow... :)

6. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

Yep they were the first (and only?) to use Light Peak (aka Thunderbolt 1) for an eGPU setup. So maybe....

From https://thunderbolttechnology.net/blog/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-does-it-all

Thats the first time Thunderbolt is advertised with this feature. Previously Intel actively tried to prevent such usage so chances are good.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<... If my T902 just up and craps out on me...>>

...Perhaps this is yet another opportunity to use the patented Bronsky "automotive massage" on your tablet, thereby guaranteeing your need for a replacement...!

8. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

haha I must have been missing for this one...
    if this babies still stubbornly going strong in a year, I'll message Bronsk and see if I can get the explicit patented directions on how to successfully run over your tablet.

9. markj

markj Pen Pal - Newbie

stoneseeker likes this.
  10. Marty

The scary thing is, his tablet was still basically working after running over it—just the webcam stopped. So I'm afraid your tablet still might not qualify as 'non-functional', hehe.

Face it Stone, you gotta upgrade or you'll be stuck with your T902 forever...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.