VAIO Z Canvas slate 12.3" @ 3:2 w/ 95% RGB...yes!

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Marty, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

I wonder if there's any chance that by "Fall" they could possibly mean "August".

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  2. markj

markj Pen Pal - Newbie

Product wise they seem to be good to go. You can already order it with a US keyboard upgrade and I was told delivery would be June 12. Guessing its a lot do to officially bring it to the us market with bureaocracy and certifications whatnot.

3. neongolden

New videos of the Canvas have been popping up ever since the announcement. Check out around the 25 minute mark on this one:

It's just so well designed... <3 Vaio.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    Marty likes this.
  4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

What in the world is that ^ about??!! :vbrolleyes:

5. neongolden

No idea, nor why it goes on for 2 hours. I just scrolled to some footage of the Canvas.

6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

He's a tech blogger/reviewer over at kunkoku.com. I only watched the first bit (where he spends like 30 minutes just feeling up the case, lol), but basically he's giving his overall impressions...which are very positive. :)

Edit: watched into an hour...so he goes on these long explanations of the different use cases between the Vaio Flip, Vaio Tap, Vaio Z and finally Vaio Canvas. But he keeps confusing some of the hardware details (which his computer assistant corrects) consequently sending him into 5 minute long bouts of laughter...gotta love the Japanese.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Some review[2] highlights for everybody! (and yes benchmarks too)

First off the reviewer notes the glass treatment:
    [​IMG]
    It uses a "six-sided" shock-proof tempering process (4 edge + 2 faces I'm guessing) instead of the typical top and bottom face tempering on most smart phones. Please also see the drop and scratch test video on my spec reveal post.

The stand is adjustable using only one-hand between 10.7 - 70 degrees:

and it uses a surprisingly simple torsion spring design.
    [​IMG]

Using an X-Rite i1 Display Pro calibrator, the screen is verified as having 95% Adobe RGB coverage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The "VAIO Settings" control panel allows you to professionally calibrate the screen:
    [​IMG]

The keys are spaced a healthy apart 4.1mm for comfortable typing:
    [​IMG]

The charger is reasonably compact:
    [​IMG]

In adddition to charging wirelessly, while magnetically attached the keyboard can be charged via microUSB:
    [​IMG]

The pen features 2 nibs choices with different friction coefficients:
    [​IMG]

The glass-screen air gap has been filled with a resin with the same refractive index as the glass to reduce parallax:
    [​IMG]

And finally the juicy benchmarks you've been waiting for:
    2015-06-01_190355.gif

Basically, we have the 512GB config of the Canvas vs the 5557U version of the Vaio Z (same processor as the highest end CC2) and the i5 SP3.

Looking at the 3D and Cinebench scores this baby really is a graphics powerhouse. For the storage benchmarks, it's scary to think what the Raid 0 version of the Canvas could score. Based on this, I'd say this machine is the first tablet meant for professional video rendering and powerful enough for serious 3D modeling and CAD work.

The BBench score of over 4:23 is acceptable, though not fantastic imo. However, ITMedia reported a BBench run time of 6:28 (thanks FenderP). The difference is probably due to different settings within BBench: for comparison, the ITMedia measured the Vaio Z (VJZ13A1) at 11:41 vs PCWatch's 6:54, so I'd say the 4:23 for the Canvas represents run-time under a semi-heavy workload.

That said, the counterpoint is that the reviewer specifically said the processor did not throttle during testing. In fact, the highest temperature measured was only 38C, and that wasn't next to the CPU!
    [​IMG]
    That means you can hold this thing comfortably while running on max load! That's pretty amazing cooling performance if you ask me.

So now the big question is: what about fan noise? The ITMedia review has some measurements for you (thanks FenderP):
    [​IMG]
    These measurements were taken 5cm "in front" of the device, and with an ambient noise floor of 32dB and ambient temperature of 25C.

5cm is a rather close measuring distance, so I'd say this tablet is practically inaudible while idling or during light/short loads. But under full load, the machine will be distinctly audible, so it remains to be seen if frequency spectrum of the noise is annoyingly high-pitched or more spread out white noise.

Still, these initial benchmarks have me even more psyched! This is looking to be one extremely well-designed machine.

@FenderP I bet you're feeling pretty good about your purchase right now ;) You guys' thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    stormi and ATIVQ like this.
  8. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

I saw the review. Link to the original: http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/column/hothot/20150530_704544.html

Also, showing the Canvas running W10: http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/event/20150602_704948.html

The 4h 23m is about where I thought it would be on load, and I bet 5 - 6 real world with doing more normal tasks. That's a cross country flight. I can live with that.

Another long, but good review: http://www.itmedia.co.jp/pcuser/articles/1505/22/news126.html
    They got a bit better battery life with BBench (6.5h), and talk about fan noise.

Only a few more weeks for me :) I'm excited to run VMs and not have things throttle. 1TB of space isn't enough, but hey, it is what it is.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    Marty likes this.
  9. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I know I just got the S3, but the Vaio Z caught my eye with the 6+ hour of battery life benchmarked, which hopefully means 8+ hours on office and web browsing.

10. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

This is absolutely breathtaking. Looks like a unicorn, actually.
    I am very tempted, despite the fact that it will not be available in Europe (no official warranty).

I wonder - could it be opened manually? I don't see any screws on the back. Fans will collect dust, eventually, could it be removed manually?

And another think - both pen and interchangeable nibs looks exactly like pen on vaio duo 13, and duo 13 nibs are not really different in friction. Did they change something for canvas or not?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.