VAIO Z Canvas slate 12.3" @ 3:2 w/ 95% RGB...yes!

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Marty, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Your screen id betrays your objectivity. Also, why rain on his parade before he even has it?

2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@lovelaptops You wound me sir! If you visit my blog you'll learn that I have no particular bias toward the Surface Pro 3. I actually prefer Wacom over N-Trig and was quite upset when Microsoft made the switch last year. The only bias I'll admit to is value for money. I hate to overpay and I'm always on the lookout for the product that will do the most for least.

3. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Was it using the same pen as previous Vaio devices?

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I apologize for the unintended harshness of my post. The take-0ff on your screen id was purely spontaneous - truly, was there any rational reason for me not to make use of it, sitting there as it was, begging to be utilized?!

The only part of your post I felt need to comment upon was what sounded to me a bit like a hit to the gut of the guy who just laid out $4.5 large to blaze a trail for the rest of us with the new Vaios. It may or may not prove to be "worth" the additional cost (recall, Z's past have commanded price premiums that didn't seem warranted, yet so many of us gladly parted with our dollars, and some did so for each of the three series. You never sounded as though you had a mean-spirited bone in your body, and maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but I just felt it premature to critique the machine solely on its specs, and in response to a post by a member who had made the purchase.

It ain't no thang.

5. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't recall if the pen shown at Adobe MAX was exactly the same as the Sony Active Pen, but it was very similar. Drawing on this VAIO slate felt exactly like drawing on the Sony Flip 15A or the Surface Pro 3.

6. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

I didn't take it as a dig. I did not buy the Z Canvas for artist reasons. It has the specs I want for VMs and other work purposes (like an electronic whiteboard) when I speak. No other computer has that combo at this size/weight/power ratio. A lot of what people are arguing about around Wacom vs. N-trig really does not matter to me. The most exciting use of the pen outside of presentations for me will be Staffpad (http://staffpad.net/). I hate OneNote and don't use it for taking notes.

And for the record, it was not $4,500 :) Close, but not totally there.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

You know what? I feel bad for FenderP too. So, I've compiled a list of reasons why you can expect the experience not to be the same as the previous N-Trig tablets:

1) The ability to remap the pen and touch to an external monitor, means Vaio has extensively customized the driver stack (at the root level) to intercept the input stream.

Given Vaio's focus on artistic functionality, there's good chance Vaio also took the chance to optimize other low level driver settings, to minimize any polling delay responsible for input lag or tracking imprecision.​

2) The ability to customize the pressure curve, pen button mappings, and a software toolbar that can control digitizer settings, indicates Vaio has also extensively customized the function-level driver.

All of these changes were purposely done to bring the software capabilities up to par with Wacom UD. This is something that no other OEM (nor N-Trig itself) has done, despite years of customer requests.​

3) The pen features replaceable nibs and customization grip options, so the physical design of the pen has also been modified at least slightly.

Another physical change may have been to tweak the tip spring force, to reduce the initial activation pressure from 10g to something closer to Wacom UD's 3g. The pressure sensor may have been calibrated to this new spring, to allow for more precise pressure divisions to 1024 levels.

Vaio may have also increased the output voltage and/or re-positioned the electro-static emitter, to improve hover latency. Combined with any polling and algorithm changes in the driver stack, this could drastically improve the responsiveness and precision compared to other N-Trig models.​

Admittedly, the speculated hardware changes are a big if, but the pen drivers have undoubtedly have changed for the better.

Given Vaio's almost obsessive focus on seeking feedback from artists, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt here that the experience is much improved. :)

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  8. markj

markj Pen Pal - Newbie

Just had the pleasure of playing around with one at Biqlo in Shinjuku. Actually very promising and not as unweldly as I had expected. Definitely just as well built as a surface pro. The stand is very robust and has an odd functionality that when you push it down there is resistance but when you raise it there is none since it actually follows up and readjusts automatically, kind of hard to explain. The keyboard cover seemed very thin but still good, fit very well and securely on top (magnetically). Using pens i can usually notice some lag on spro3 in one note but on this there was absolutely no noticeable lag (to me). Ran cinebench to stress test and listen to fall noise but could not hear much even though the vents were getting noticeable warm (its admittedly very noisy there so maybe not such a good test). I noticed that holding it in portrait mode you'll have hot air blowing on one hand, its not really designed for that of course.

Ok, that's all i can think of for now. All in all very very tempting, especially seems like a good investment with 3 years warranty.

stormi and ATIVQ like this.
  9. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That's really promising. Did you happen to test hover lag or just stroke lag?

10. markj

markj Pen Pal - Newbie

Stroke lag, didn't think about hover las at the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.