VAIO Z Canvas slate 12.3" @ 3:2 w/ 95% RGB...yes!

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Marty, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

Does not bother me being a Japanese only keyboard. I've been typing on one since the U70P days. It's a device meant for the Japanese market. You could always use another keyboard, such as USB or Bluetooth if you can't handle a Japanese keyboard.

2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Final specs and pricing revealed! As expected, the baby ain't cheap, but she's powerful:

VAIO Z Canvas (VJZ12A1)
    • 12.3" 2,560×1,704 (3:2@250dpi) display with 95% Adobe RGB gamut
    • N-Trig digitizer and pen (with 1024 pressure levels of sensitivity)
    • TPM module (TCG Ver1.2)
    • 1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet LAN
    • 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac with Bluetooth 4.0 wireless card (featuring improved reception for weak signals):
    • 0.92MP webcam and 8MP rear auto-focus camera
    • Geomagnetic / gyro / accelerometer
    • USB 3.0 × 2 (1 charging port), HDMI1.4 × 1, Mini DisplayPort × 1, 3.5mm stereo jack × 1, SD / SDHC / SDXC UHS-II card slot
    • 63Wh battery (6.7 - 7.6 hr JEITA 2.0 measured battery life)
    • 301 × 213 × 13.65 mm @ 1.21kg
    • Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    • 3yr Warranty
    [​IMG]

Included RF magnetic keyboard cover:​
    • 19mm key size with 1.35mm key travel
    • Japanese layout (English layout option available)
    • 2 weeks estimated usage on full charge (charges when magnetically attached to tablet)
    • 301 × 213 × 4.4 mm @ 340g

Some other interesting features of this tablet:

The CPU has a 47W TDP, unheard of in any tablet up to this date. As such, it's equipped with a large cooling system with plenty of room for airflow around the copper:
    [​IMG]
    The frame is milled from a single block of aluminum:
    unibody.gif

and has undergone quite strenuous bend, drop, and scratch tests:

The right case button is touch toggle:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The left case button controls the customizable on-screen overlay:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There you can set up to 24 shortcuts per application and also include toggles for touch, fan noise and other system settings.

The digitizer driver has a customizable pressure curve:
    [​IMG]

The pen buttons can be mapped to functions like opening OneNote and starting a screen clipper:
    [​IMG]
    and the pen body can be customized with different sized grip accessories:
    [​IMG]

There's also a special "pen-remap" mode that is supposed to be used while connected to an external display:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    From what I understand, this lets you map tablet touch and pen input to the external display coordinates, so the digitizer acts similar to a Intuos tablet on a desktop setup.

As an added bonus, you apparently get a "preferential price" on a Creative Cloud subscription, Clip Studio Paint, and/or Corel Painter 2015 with purchase.

Additional specs compiled from AVWatch, MyNavi, and ITMedia. More info on the official product page. Pre-order page here (for all you rich folks in Japan :p) also coming to the US in Fall 2015.

So who's pre-ordering?!!! :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    RT545, Precurve, ron2k_1 and 5 others like this.
  3. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Would be interesting to see this with a quad core Skylake CPU in the future. If I had the money, and this had more than 4 hours of battery life, I wouldn't mind having one, though I think for my needs it maybe an overkill.

4. markj

markj Pen Pal - Newbie

I was waiting on getting this but at 1.2kg its not that much better than my x61T. Guess I'll be waiting a bit more for the SPro4.

5. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

1.21 kg is just under 2.7lbs. This much power and portability? Come on.

Anyway, did anyone notice that if you try to get to the Vaio page from the US, you can't get to the Japanese site any more? However, you get directed get a page saying the Z Canvas is coming to the US in the fall? :)

Attached Files:

• vaio.png
      vaio.png
      File size:
      267.1 KB
      Views:
    stormi, Marty, Allarih and 1 other person like this.
  6. Marty

For comparison, another 12.5" tablet, the z20t is 730g for just the slate, but with the dock it's 1.51kg. The Canvas Z with keyboard cover is 1.55kg, but is more flexible in almost every use case, since it has a friction hinge as well as a bluetooth keyboard.

But this isn't yet taking into account the performance/weight ratio: taking a look at the charts, the i7-4770HQ easily surpasses the i7-4710HQ, which found in most gaming laptops. 9044 passmarks absolutely destroys anything you'll ever find on a tablet/ultrabook, period.

Quite frankly, it's an engineering feat to put such a CPU inside a slate only 13.7mm thick and 2.7lbs.

Of course, this is assuming the cooling system is up to par, but I'm pretty optimistic from the interior photos that this thing will not throttle heavily (though it could be quite loud under full load).

Last edited: May 21, 2015
    bloodycape, Allarih and neongolden like this.
  7. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Thank you so much for the awesome posts, Marty. It blows me away the effort you put into compiling all the pictures together, etc, not to mention your knowledge of hardware in general.

Signed up for the Vaio mailing list and am probably going to wait until it comes out in the Fall. Such wonderful news :)

8. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

I wonder if there's a chance that those of us who wait will be rewarded in the form of a Skylake configuration this Fall, echoing what bloodycape was saying.

I guess if you were to import the middle configuration, right now, from PriceJapan, it would go for around $2650. After reading the pdf Marty linked on the JEITA test and it sounds pretty genuine - you may actually get close to 7.6 hours if you're just working some high res 2d or something.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  9. milkytoast

milkytoast Pen Pal - Newbie

3 fans? is this a new Vaio or are we getting hoverboards in the year 2015?

10. Marty

Your welcome! This machine just doesn't get any love here in the West (for some reason). Just want more people to know about the incredible amount of effort Vaio is putting into this product. In my opinion, this is the most exciting tablet to come out since the EP121 changed the tablet PC form factor.

Nice! Keep us updated if you order one!

By the way, for anyone else wanting to see this in action and also attend some professional use case seminars, Vaio is hosting these starting next week (May 25) at the Roppongi Hills Cafe, Tokyo. I posted all the details here.

Man I wish I could go, somebody in Japan at least attend one of these!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.