VAIO Z Canvas slate 12.3" @ 3:2 w/ 95% RGB...yes!

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Marty, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I was wondering when the new VAIO corp was going to put out a new tablet to worthy of the name. It looks like they didn't disappoint with this new slate.

It's got a high res 3:2 12.3" screen that covers 95% of the Adobe RGB gamut, meaning it's probably using Sony's 'Triluminous' LCD with quantum dot based filter. It probably also sports an N-Trig digitizer, and from the size of the vents, a pretty beefy SOC.

It's really nice to see manufacturer's adopting the 3:2 form-factor in new tablets, as well as not compromising on ports! ;)

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Interesting resolution: "...and it supports a 2560 x 1704 pixel resolution". That's basically 3:2 except it's 2.66666 pixels too short.

3. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That looks really interesting. About time we get another performance tablet with a non-16:9 screen. Let's hope they bring it to market, even if we might have to import it ourselves.

Oh, and the most important problem from my perspective is the seemingly lack of a proper keyboard dock. A slice keyboard can be nice as an option, but I would certainly hope they don't make the same mistake Microsoft is doing with the Surface and not releasing a real keyboard dock that makes it usable as a proper laptop.
    However that prototype does not seem to have any kind of docking port, hopefully they improve that prototype before releasing it.
    And I hope that either the miniDisplayPort or HDMI port will be 4k-capable.

Btw, here is the orignal source:
    http://www.vaio.com/magazine/prototype/
    and translated:
    http://translate.google.com/transla...=en&u=http://www.vaio.com/magazine/prototype/

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
    kimonochi likes this.
  4. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

5. kvad

kvad Pen Pal - Newbie

That certainly is drool-worthy. Almost full Adobe RGB and quad-core in such a nice package. Encouraging to see big vents - perhaps they can keep the noise of that quad-core in check. Cross my fingers they're successful in Japan and will expand beyond their borders again.

6. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I bow to your guys' superior spec hunting skills...

So according to the last link, this supposedly the successor to the vaunted "Vaio Z" laptops of yore. It's certainly got the specs to match, with a Core i7 4760HQ which is full voltage "Core H" processor running at 47W TDP. The iGPU is the latest Iris Pro 5200 GT3 which according to NotebookCheck is about 15% slower than the GT 750M DDR3. Hard drive is a PCIe SSD and oh yes, and there's a 16Gb RAM config option...now this is my kind of tablet :D.

I love how Vaio is saying "screw thin" we want moar power!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  7. sonus911

sonus911 Scribbler - Standard Member

That beauty is absolutely amazing. I wonder what the battery life is like.

Sony - I mean Vaio - is really the only OEM that gets it. After owning an i7 Duo 11, an i7 Tap 11, getting a work Surface Pro2, helping my boss understand the capabilities of his Surface Pro3, and helping my brother in law setup his Lenovo Helix, I've realized that no other PC maker makes them like Vaio does. If it wasn't for the support issues I'd take a Vaio Duo 13, a spec'd out Tap 11 with improved battery life, or this new Tap Pro 12 over any Surface device currently in existence.

8. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

If this is a Z replacement I am not surprised by the display specs. I had a Vaio TT, which had some of the same specs and used the same material as the Z, but in a smaller 11in model and the display was excellent. Brightness could have been a bit higher, but color reproduction was amazing. I read that like the Z of the time, the TT was also an 8-bit display.

9. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

Saw the 16GB confirmed in the link a few posts down. But with the HQ (I was surprised to see that), it would be stupid not to have a 16GB option. As someone who has the Duo 11, Tap 11, and SP3, this pretty much takes the best bits of all of them and gives it real guts. I love the fact it has the flip down ethernet of the Duo 11. I never understood its removal in the 13.

I only hope they solved the keyboard issues that the Tap 11 suffers from.

This solves a lot of the issues I have with the current SP3 - lack of ports, cooling, power ...

PCIe confirmed, but again, not surprised given that the Pro 13 uses it and they are going to be charging an arm and leg. I see this being price wise on par with Panasonic's MX3 and probably around $4000 fully spec'd out if a 512GB PCIe SSD/16GB option is available.

Count me in. No, really.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  10. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

From a design language perspective, I agree with you. My disappointment with Panasonic is that the MX3 is just an 8GB machine. Otherwise, very nice. Not a detachable tablet.

I still get 5 - 7 hours on my Tap 11; it's mainly a livingroom remote. This one will have to be closer to 3lbs if it's got a quad core HQ processor to get any kind of battery life - it'll have to be a big battery. Looks like they solved the heating issue of the SP3 which drives me nuts when installing patches. I think the SP3 is the best at what it does for now. It's been a good companion as a music reading device at gigs for me, but I want a good all 'rounder.

Like I just said, if this can get the 512GB PCIe SSD/16GB of RAM, shut up and take my money.