Vaio Z Canvas, problems after restore

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Hroswith, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Hroswith

Hroswith Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had the Vaio Z Canvas for about two months now, and have been generally very positive of it. A few days ago, however, problems started when the SD card reader wouldn't be recognized anymore. It didn't show up in hardware manager. I tried every update from Vaio's support page, but nothing worked. After that, I tried resetting the tablet to factory settings. First, I tried a reset that kept my files, which kept failing. After that, I decided to wipe my tablet and start anew. This also failed, constantly giving me the message:

There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made.

There were changes made, however, since the tablet wouldn't boot up after that! It kept going into a boot loop where it showed the Vaio logo, and kept resetting after that. I tried every option I could find when booting in startup manager, nothing worked. Tried contacting Vaio about this, no response.

In the end, my brother managed to get a clean install of Windows 10 Pro on it, which did get activated automatically after completing the install. The VCZ managed to boot up, I installed the updates and even the card reader worked again.

However, I'm missing the Vaio Control Center software and both of the top buttons aren't working!! Again, I tried all the updates I could download from the vaio support site, but none of them fixed the problem. This is really frustrating, since I used the quick settings button quite often, and Vaio not responding to my support mails doesn't give me a lot of hope that they'll help.

Does anyone know how I can fix this issue? Perhaps someone with a VZC could provide me with the software for those buttons, Vaio Control Center and the Vaio Clipping Tool.

2. garagebattle

garagebattle Pen Pal - Newbie

Sadly Vaio US support is about useless. We need a contact for the Japanese division.

3. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

I really recommend anyone creating a recovery on an external media like Vaio suggests in their instructions/leaflet since they don't provide all the software/drivers needed for download on their website.
    If you wiped the complete SSD for a clean Windows 10 installation, the only official way to get all the needed software is to order a recovery media from Vaio.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...the only official way to get all the needed software is to order a recovery media from Vaio...>>

I agree. stormi posted about a similar need and reported that a restore image was available from VAIO for $54 plus $10 shipping & handling. That's not particularly cheap, but even so it might be the cheapest and most convenient way to restore your ZC to proper operation...

See Post #507 and the next few posts in this discussion thread:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/vaio-z-canvas-user-reviews-and-impressions.67832/

5. shin3314

shin3314 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a few question about doing recovery on vaio z canvas. If in future i want to replace my hdd because its not working anymore.

1: How do i use the system image that i created using windows 10 software on a new ssd? (do i need to install a new windows 10 with a diff key in order to mount that image on the new ssd?)
    2 how do i go into vaio bio setting?
    3: if i buy the recovery media from vaio, how do i use it on a new ssd?Does that recovery media contains the original windows 10? if not, do i need to install a new windows 10 with a diff key in order to use that recovery media on the new ssd?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  6. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

The recovery comes on a USB drive and contains the original Windows 10, no need for an additional key/copy.

To get to the bios you can use the Windows 10 advanced startup option in the settings and I think there also was a combination of power + vol-down/up when powering up the Canvas (check the manuals).

7. shin3314

shin3314 Pen Pal - Newbie

Is it possible to create a recovery CD myself that also contains the original windows 10 so i could install it on a new ssd?

8. Steve S

<<...Is it possible to create a recovery CD myself...>>

...I have only used Window's Recovery file when performing a Refresh / Reset function on native hardware, so I'm not sure what it would do in the context of your question. That is, I'm not sure that the Recovery file provides a complete, stand-alone Windows installation. Windows will certainly allow you to create external recovery media, but if you load it on a non-original SSD, Windows will detect the change and you will have to reactivate Windows. In addition, the recovery media only provides the Windows components, so other software or apps that you may have loaded will not be present. For this reason, I use full back-up images (as opposed to the Recovery file) when I want to clone my system to another HD or SSD. I've had good luck with Acronis True Image, but there are other, equally good third party back-up apps in the marketplace. This approach has the additional advantage that you can also create periodic back-ups in the event you encounter a virus or (worse) ransomware...

9. chester.tian

chester.tian Pen Pal - Newbie

i have same problem like you.after reinstall win10 i also lost control center and top buttons.if anyone can backup their system with all drivers and send to me,i will try if its work

10. Steve S