Vaio Z Canvas Pen

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by carnageX12, Jun 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. carnageX12

carnageX12 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello. I was wondering if there was a way to change the pen buttons' functions. I tried looking throughout the settings, updating windows 10 in the hope it would have drivers that would take over the pen settings, even Wacom's bamboo ink driver since I recently purchased that (works great with my Thinkpad yoga 14, and the Vaio besides the button thing of course). I cannot find a way to change those buttons. Does anyone know how to change the buttons' functions, whether it's a setting I overlooked, a way to disable Vaio's driver and install perhaps Microsoft's, or even if I need to resort to a script like I did for the scrolling direction of the trackpad, which also was a bit annoying that I had to resort to that instead of there being a setting like every other computer I've used. I really like this computer, but if there isn't a way to change the buttons, I'll probably sell it because it will kill my productivity.

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

No there isn't. Barrel button mapping is exclusive to Wacom Wintab driver for Wacom digitizers and pens.

I compensate by using Wacom Expresskey Remote for shortcuts.

3. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

I wouldnt sell it just because of that. At last resort you could at least have someone write you a quick pen hack online that would allow you to remap the buttons. Its probably something that would take 10 minutes. Iv never heard of the ntrig pens buttons being remappable since Iv used ntrig devices for the past 5 years. Like I said it wouldnt be difficult Try here http://lmgtfy.com/?q=coders+for+hire

4. carnageX12

Thanks for the reply's. I ended up using AutoHotKey to hack together middle button functionality, even got it to work with key shortcuts bar. It's not idea but it works for now. I really did consider selling this and getting the yoga 720, but feel it might be a bit big for what I want to do, plus not the biggest fan of the drawing experience in laptop mode on my thinkpad yoga, full tablet mode is okay but still not ideal without handy access to keyboard. One more question if anyone knows the answer; I could have sworn I read that it was possible to add programs to the key settings, I don't have photoshop cc illustrator or any of the programs listed, I'm using affinity photo and designer along with some 3d programs. I've searched and searched but cannot find what I read before about adding different programs to the list, was I mistaken in what I remembered or is it possible, and if so how?

5. D G

D G Pen Pal - Newbie

Perhaps I am not understanding the situation exactly, however, I was able to change the pen's functions somewhat just by going to the 'pen shortcuts' section on windows 10 and changing the 'app' that can be launched

6. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Could you share the script? Specifically how did you remap the eraser button click? And are you able to emulate hover right click?

7. carnageX12

D G - I meant change the side buttons of the pen, one is allowed to be right click, the other clear. I wanted the clear button to be a middle click, for things like fusion 360. I knew Wacom allowed this with their pen and could have sworn I read that Microsoft allowed this with the side button, I was hoping Vaio would too. I see that it is possible to change the bluetooth button pen click in windows, but I was after the side buttons on the barrel of the default Vaio pen and bamboo ink pen.

Marty - I was not able to change the barrel button functionality, I'm still trying to figure out the program, so it may be possible. Instead I added the functionality I needed when buttons are pressed when used with the pen. I have included a zip that has all the scripts I've been testing, the three that are useful for me and work are PenS, PenSLButton, and ScrollS. I needed MButton click so have two ways implemented, PenS uses alt+y to emulate the MButton and does not need the pen to touch the screen, I can hover drag with the pen and it works as intended, this is the one I got to somewhat work with the key shortcut bar, and I think closest to what you want with a right hover click. I tested it and if you change the MButton to RButton in the PenS script the alt+y combo produces a right click without the need for the pen to touch the screen, and works with the shortcut key bar. I also like the PenSLButton script as alternative for me, it for some reason will not work with the shortcut key bar, but requires alt+LButton to emulate the MButton, it can not hover, but is more precise for my needs. ScrollS is for anyone that hates the way the trackpad scrolls, it revereses the direction, it can be activated and deactivated with F9, a feature I thought would be nice incase I start with the track-pad, then use a mouse with a mouse-wheel, then decide to go back to the trackpad in one session(it has happened).

Attached Files:

Marty likes this.
  8. Marty

Thanks carnage. As a side note, you might want to try out Radial Menu, as described in this thread, it lets you remap the side buttons to MiddleClick and other keybinds, so you don't need the keyboard:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It may take few installs/fiddling to get working on the Canvas, but it eventually works.

I think the developer was still ironing out bugs before he lost the source code. :( This is one of the reasons I've been looking around for a pure AutoHotkey method of remapping the barrel buttons.

9. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

With AutoHotkey, you can remap some functions of the side switches. I don't remember exactly which because on my Z Canvas I use the SP4 pen instead of the Vaio pen. So here is what works so far with AutoHotkey (sorry I don't have my tablet around today):

- On the SP4 pen, it is very easy to remap all three of the single/double/hold click actions of the top eraser button. There are many many examples of this that can be found through Google and I can help if anyone is interested. Very straightforward.

- On the Vaio pen, one of the side switches behaves a bit like the eraser button from the SP4 pen, so you can remap some of it as easily.

- On the SP4 and the Vaio pens you can remap the side switches to some extent in two ways. You can do some of what carnageX112 has shared (for example, remapping rbutton to something else), but that completely remaps all right-clicks (from the mouse for example), not just for the pen. The other method that works is selective for the side-switch and is for some reason not very well known. It is as close as you'll get, I think, to what you can find for Wacom. I think it's what Marty is looking for, and for what I have tried it works well but I haven't explored all the possibilities. For now, I've found remapping the hover click to be ideal and that works great. Here is an example that I posted on Reddit (only tested with SP4 pen):
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/64ibqw/toggle_between_brush_and_eraser_in_photoshop/

As far as adding programs to the Vaio Z shortcut bar, the only way I've found to do it (and it works well) is to do what I described here (which I don't remember being described anywhere else):
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...ews-and-impressions.67832/page-46#post-468081

Let me know if you need help with any of this!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    carnageX12 and Marty like this.
  10. Marty

This is really cool! By any chance does it make use of this script on the AutoHotkey forums?

Specifically it uses:
    Code:
    ; Set up other constants
    ; USAGE_PAGE and USAGE might change on different devices. 13/2 works for
    ; the Surface Pen
    WM_INPUT := 0xFF
    USAGE_PAGE := 13
    USAGE := 2

; Set up AHKHID constants
    AHKHID_UseConstants()

; Register the pen
    AHKHID_AddRegister(1)
    AHKHID_AddRegister(USAGE_PAGE, USAGE, A_ScriptHwnd, RIDEV_INPUTSINK)
    AHKHID_Register()

With these USAGE constants:
    Code:
    ; Set up our pen constants
    global PEN_NOT_HOVERING := 0x0 ; Pen is moved away from screen.
    global PEN_HOVERING := 0x1 ; Pen is hovering above screen.
    global PEN_TOUCHING := 0x3 ; Pen is touching screen.
    global PEN_2ND_BTN_HOVERING := 0x5 ; 2nd button is pressed.

By any chance have you tried using the PEN_2ND_BTN_HOVERING usage constant, for remapping the eraser side button? And I wonder if there is 3rd constant for eraser hovering...

With this, it should be possible to create an pure AutoHotkey replacement for RadialMenu.

And also shout-out for your Toolbar, it's awesome! :)