Vaio Z Canvas Pen problems

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Christo, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Christo

Christo Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello.

I was using the pen with clip studio paint when the sensitivity suddenly stopped working and the pen is making marks even when it's not touching the screen. I looked around for solutions but nothing worked. Any ideas anybody?

2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Try replacing the pen battery? Switch CSP between Wintab and TabletPC (Windows Ink) modes? Does the pen behave properly in the Windows Ink Workspace apps like Screen sketch?

3. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

This happens to me all the time with my stylus. The cap of the stylus comes loose and it starts acting erratic.

You can also try reseting the touch-pen input in windows configuration calibration. I was having difficulties when the stylus input was acting up kinda like you described and I ended up resetting it and that stopped it.

4. Christo

Christo Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry for the extremely late response. I got caught up with work stuff and had no time to even use the canvas. Just got some time recently and found that the problem persists.

@surfaceproartist
    I did change the battery and switched between wintab and tablet pc. Nothing changed.
    I don't have Screen sketch, but I tried photoshop, mischief, paintstorm and zbrush and the problem exists with all of them. Mischief and zbrush are the ones that do it less though. It does seem like the problem starts if I press the pen on the screen harder, in order to get a thicker line.

@jbaks
    The cap seems tight enough.
    I have to remove the battery and put it back in a few times before it starts working properly again.
    Sometimes just removing the tip and placing it back again does the trick, but rarely.
    I re-calibrated a couple of times. Nothing changed.

I'm thinking of getting a surface pen to try, to see if it's the pen or some software issue.
    I also considered I may be sketching too fast, but I never had any problem with my old cintiq (old as in oooold, 21UX or something like that...) on an old imac.

EDIT
    I came across this thread. This seems to be the same problem, but no solution is offered: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/pen-writes-just-above-screen.34960/

EDIT 2
    Sorry for the constant editing, but since I decided to just look into 'digitizer hover writes' instead of z canvas specific forums, I found that this happens to many people. This person got a new one:
    http://www.surfaceforums.net/thread...t-draws-when-im-not-touching-the-screen.7853/

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  5. unimplode

unimplode Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm having this issue on the Vaio Z canvas as well. I'll track this thread and post back if I find anything interesting. I'm getting pretty frustrated with the pen implementation of this otherwise great device...

6. jbaks

whats happening with your pen?

7. unimplode

Same as the OP. The pen is triggering as though it is touching the screen while still hovering - making lots of stray accidental marks when drawing (I use TVPaint) and also accidental clicks system-wide (not just in TVPaint). The pen will also sporadically just stop working entirely. I've tried all the proposed solutions in this thread (including a fresh battery) and while sometimes the functionality will return to normal - it also sometimes returns to normal if I do nothing and wait a few minutes (this makes me hopeful it is a software issue) so any semblance of a remedy could be coincidental as nothing really seems to work reliably.
    I've written Vaio customer support about it. We'll see what they say. o_O

8. jbaks

when it stops working how long does it take before it starts working again?

9. unimplode

I've had it work again in a few minutes but also had it stop indefinitely unless I do something like power cycle the pen. Vaio customer support had me download and re-install the driver for the display adapter. I was hopeful since after doing so I had a couple of hours of stable use - then it all came back! I still can't say what actually triggers the problem. Reinstalling the driver did appear to buy some time but once it was back - unusable again.