Vaio Z Canvas pen cap broke off, not covered under warranty

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by n8finn, Jun 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8finn

n8finn Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Vaio owners, I love my Vaio Z Canvas for so many reasons, except that Vaio is a small company not willing to stand behind their customers. When I pulled the Canvas out of my bag with the pen clipped to the side the cap fell off. I reached out to Vaio Support to see if it'd be covered under warranty and they are not considering it a defect.

I'm generally fine with that reasoning, anything that could be considered "damage" is very hard to justify as a defect, especially when the manufacturer is tight-assed with their warranty.

I'm posting on here to see if anybody else has experienced this, to potentially show Vaio that this isn't necessarily great build quality. This is the only user group or forum (I've found) that actually discusses the Vaio Z Canvas since it's not a heavily marketed (or sold) product.

As fate would have it, Wacom released their new Bamboo pen for Windows 10 devices, I picked it up as a replacement. I'm still a little peeved at Vaio for treating a customer who bought their premium & niche device with shoulder shrugs about a pen, and curious if other owners have had similar experiences.

Thanks.

jbaks and Aman like this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...curious if other owners have had similar experiences...>>

@n8finn ...I believe that there have been two other complains of broken VAIO pen caps, somewhere on these forums. One of them as the result of dropping the pen; can't remember the other. As to whether this constitutes faulty design or just life is harder to say. I can see both sides of this.

<<...Wacom released their new Bamboo pen for Windows 10 devices, I picked it up as a replacement...>>

...There have already been two reports of the tops breaking off the Wacom pen. One by dropping and one apparently due to dumbness of the owner (notice that I am not naming any names here). So if you think that the VAIO pen is a faulty design...

Finally, you can find genuine VAIO pens on eBay for about 20-something dollars:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Sony-VA...279584?hash=item2382bcff60:g:qGcAAOSwSypY99qM

jbaks likes this.
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Hey @n8finn, welcome to the forums!

Yeah, we've discussed the tendency for the pen cap to break off here, where a couple members (including me ;)) talk about the underlying construction issues and how it could be improved.

While I'm dissapointed at the durability of the pen, I am extremely impressed with the durability of the tablet itself:

A while back, I posted a series of videos showing VAIO's bend, drop, and scratch tests on the chassis. The screen glass is also treated for shock-resistance along the edges, as opposed to only the faces, like most devices. That's the most effort I've seen from any manufacturer for a non-"rugged" device.

I actually had a chance to put those claims to the test (unintentionally :p) when I dropped my Canvas onto hard stone floor!

I was horrified that the screen might have cracked or the chassis crushed, but to my surprise, I could barely see any damage. There was only a small almost imperceptible dent in a corner, and slight glass misalignment (glass corner shifted upward <0.1mm at one corner).

I've brought machine everywhere with me as I backpacked across Japan...through bumpy train rides, light rain, and daily 10 mile hikes. I've never felt a machine as solid.

So overall, I'd say VAIO's build quality is top notch!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    jbaks and Steve S like this.
  4. Steve S

<<...I had a chance to put those claims to the test (unintentionally :p)...>>

...Hmmm... If we find out that you've been PM'ing Bronsky, we may have a case against you...!!!

Marty likes this.
  5. n8finn

n8finn Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the replies everyone. @Steve S I try not to jump to terms like "faulty" easily, but the pen definitely seems fragile, especially for something that is clipped to tablets that travel in bags. It is what it is :)

I appreciate the eBay link for the Vaio Pens, I may pick one up as a backup, but I'm going to stop clipping it to the side.

With the Wacom pen, I'm still under a Best Buy return policy so if it's prone to breaking than it looks like I'll be giving Microsoft my money for a new Surface Pen...

@Marty I 100% agree with the durability of the tablet itself. While most people scoff at the weight and the industrial look, I actually love it. I've got 1 or 2 tiny marks in the glass on the bezel which seemed weird but I've since put on a Phodoton screen protector. Other than that, the casing has held up incredibly well. I'm gonna check out those tests you linked.

6. n8finn

n8finn Pen Pal - Newbie

@Steve S are the Sony caps more durable than these Vaio-branded ones? It sounds like from some other reports on here that the Sony caps can just screw on to my broken pen, which would be AWESOME!

jbaks likes this.
  7. Steve S

<<...are the Sony caps more durable than these Vaio-branded ones?..>>

...I've only seen one or two Sony branded pen and they looked just like the VAIO pen, so I would guess that they are the same and that the caps would be interchangeable (but I have never actually tried that).

jbaks likes this.
  8. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

when i was keeping an eye on the canvas to find a decent deal this year a good number of the used ones had broken pens. The top of the pen where the metal bracket meets is made of plastic which is why they break so often. Even the one that I was looking to buy on this forum had a broken pen.

9. n8finn

n8finn Pen Pal - Newbie

update! @Steve S the Sony pen cap worked just fine, it's a slightly different color, but otherwise 100%. $20 to fix the pen AND get an extra AAAA battery and pen tip (I assume those are removable when they wear out).

10. Steve S

<<...I assume those are removable when they wear out...>>

...They are. VAIO (and Sony?) offer two nibs. A black, hard plastic tip and a dark gray, slightly softer nib. However, in today's world, you also have your choice of the Surface Pro pens with their array of four different nibs and the new Wacom Ink pen. So there's plenty of variety...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.