VAIO Z Canvas over 50% off at MS Store! (2/8/2016)

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade and Tablet PC Deals' started by Shogmaster, Feb 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I wonder how much of Vaio's price drop was spur of the moment and how much of it was deliberate-from-the-outset marketing guile.

It's a great looking device, better in terms of specs than any of the others, but was it $1500 better than its competitors? I don't know, though one thing is certain... Americans love a 60% savings on their stuff! (Even if it still means spending a not so modest $1000+ on the other end).

I bet Vaio wouldn't have sold out of their stock had they priced it like this to begin with...

So.., clever salesmanship or random act of marketing?

Either way, I'm glad to see them winning. Top flight engineering should be rewarded!

And an Ethernet port. Damn! Out of all the bells and whistles and fine toothed engineering, the daily need to plug an internet cable into my devices is the feature which makes it stand out of the pack for me. A half-penny feature for the Win.

2. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would totally believe clever marketing if the components were only priced at around $7-800. There is no way they aren't taking a loss with the sale. 2 m.2 512GB SSDs is already around $500 in itself. That's ignoring the full core chip, 16GB RAM, the high-res full color gamut display, etc. They may be breaking close to even with the new price, but they're definitely not rolling in profits from it. While it's true that they sold out their 2 higher speced machines, the base model still has stock, and is always the larger production run of a release. Reviews universally stated that this device was priced out of reasonable reach, I doubt they were moving significant stock before the sale. And yes, MS sold their stock, but the sale wasn't retail-wide. Based on all these facts it really looks like MS simply wanted to unload a bunch of stock they had acquired that was simply taking up storage space. If it was a sale to spike interest, I would have expected them to end it once stock was depleted (which is how retailers handle sales in general). Instead it looks like the going price at MS until they've moved it all, and remove it from the site.

This is all happening in a market which is universally bleeding consumers. The simplest explanation is usually the right one.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I ended up deciding to sell the VAIO Z Canvas to a friend (no profit). At the end of the day, I'm more appreciative of the the physical real estate than pure power. Even with the 3:2 LCD, 12.3" felt a bit too constricting.

I'm sticking with my Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 14. Even though it's 16:9, it's tall as the VAIO Z Canvas, but gives me 2 extra inches to the side. Also, having Wacom Wintab gives me no restrictions with the software. Now if only I can make the dual boot work properly, I'm all good to go, lol.

blackcat and thatcomicsguy like this.
  4. blackcat

blackcat Pen Pal - Newbie

Dual boot for when you connect your Yoga 14 to a Cintiq?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Shogmaster

I have a 256GB SATA M.2 and 1TB SATA 2.5" SSDs inside. I want Win 10 Home on the 256 for messing around and games and Win 10 Pro on the 1TB for the workstation duties.

It briefly worked where the Windows boot manager saw two Windows installation and let me choose. Now it just boots straight to the 256 only. I gotta mess around with the BIOS.

6. blackcat

I messed around with the BIOS (UEFI or whatever they're called now) when I cloned the 2.5 225gb to a 1tb. (Winload.efi problem, now fixed) you may already know this... It looks like you can set the main boot device in bios. You can also select which drive to boot with if you hit enter at the Lenovo screen.

Zeelobby likes this.
  7. Shogmaster

Yes, I had that working. But now it's acting a bit weird. It favors the M.2 drive and sometimes takes a while to wake the 2.5" drive if you are booting from the M.2 drive.

I gotta mess around a bit more. Maybe the 2.5" drive is faulty.

8. Dr. Boosh

Dr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just use rEFInd. Awesome little bootloader, and you can make it pretty.

9. Shogmaster

Thanks for the tip! It will have to wait until I get ready for a job interview, but I will try that for sure.

Cheers.

10. blackcat

Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.