VAIO Z Canvas over 50% off at MS Store! (2/8/2016)

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade and Tablet PC Deals' started by Shogmaster, Feb 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Shogmaster likes this.
  3. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

i wonder if they honor the online prices at the local store. thats still allot lower than they ebay prices.

4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

They will honor it. You'd better go fast before the eBay trolls.

5. ckaym

ckaym Pen Pal - Newbie

"Was this deal only available to US residents as well?"

I've been tempted by the Canvas for quite while now, and I tried to buy it around Christmas, when they offered 500$ discount.
    After many hours of (pointless) discussions with "sales consultants" from MS, I discovered (the hard, slow and annoying way) that:
    1st) they only deliver to US addresses - that's understandable for the US site. What's not - is why some of the most popular models (incl. the Vaio) are SOLD only in US. I tought MS is a global company - but obviously I'm wrong.
    2nd) (after 1st consultant lied me that I can order from Europe, but just need to give US-shipping address, so I decided to order it to my cousin address) I discovered that MS-store accepts only payment methods (creditCards, paypal ...) backed by a card issues by US-bank!
    3rd) since that 'clearance-vaio' sale as JoeS correctly stated ".. and THAT's why we can't have nice thing" it's obvious MS cut the price (more than half!) without protecting the product from being sold in bulk.
    So all kind of re-sellers bought all Vaio-canvases, and are now offering it on price in between the price they bought it and the old price (which was quite inflated on some sites incl. ebay and amazon).

The only conclusion I make is that MS has no idea how to server customers (and definitely have no idea what is a global company). They also seem to be worried that the Vaio is taking away attention from their surfaces (which while not bad at all, are being dishonestly pushed to sell - hiding technical specs, and using false advertisements. not to mention the "premium-price" of course).

It's no surprise to me that Vaio managed to produce a Surface's-latest-models killer ... one year ago btw!
    I just hope that Vaio manage to build wide distribution network incl. Europe!
    They'll have big market if they don't allow other "partners" and distributors to speculate with their products and prices.

stoneseeker likes this.
  6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Was there a purchase limit per household from the MS Store? It would be a shame if all the supply was taken up by resellers, as I was hoping there would be a huge influx of new Canvas owners on this forum.

When I phoned into the MS online store (had to use another route, cause the direct line was permanently busy lol) they said you had to have a US billing address or they couldn't create the order. So even if you have a US shipping address, they won't allow you to use your Canadian credit card.

I'm not sure why Vaio is restricting sales to the US market, because apparently warranty service is handled in Japan anyways?

7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Shame. Thanks for confirming for me.
    Maybe Vaio will start doing direct global sales eventually out of Europe or something.

8. Marty

I thought the last time I tried to convince you to get a Z Canvas, you said it would be "too decadent"...so I see even the strongest holdouts can be tempted. ;)

stoneseeker likes this.
  9. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

At THAT price? It's a crazy good deal. I'm sick so I'm working on my T902 at home for a change again and it's reminding me what I love about tablePC's all over again. I got the itch!

Marty likes this.
  10. Marty

I actually disagree with this.

MS did a great service to the tablet PC community by having such a large sale on a tablet which I feel was under-marketed. We should be praising them, not faulting them for providing the opportunity for more artists/graphics professionals to afford such a device.

Also by having such a momentous sale, they are actually taking away potential Surface customers, particularly those customers who might have purchased the high-end i7 SP4. So I think MS should be applauded for not artificially protecting their own sales (cough Wacom) at the expense of other OEMs .

Aye, that price...honestly the best deal I have ever seen in 15 years of watching computer prices. If you were like me, looking around for new 2016 tablets, and finding all these Core M devices, priced at around $900 starting price (that's like $1200-1300 CAD folks), for a piddly Core m3, 4GB of RAM, with keyboard/pen extra, and generally inferior components to the 95% aRGB, PCI-e SSD in the Z Canvas--you started realizing $2800 for the Z Canvas is ain't that bad...

Then MS/Vaio drops this bomb.

Vaio, I love you. Whomever of your execs decided "hey instead of spending millions in marketing trying to convince a generally clueless audience how our device is the most powerful tablet ever made, why don't we just halve the price and just put it into the hands of as many people as possible--and they'll find out for themselves" is genius.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.