Vaio Z Canvas Fan (grinding/rattling) Noise.

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Want2OpenVaioZCanvas, Apr 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

I definitely agree with steve on this one, we have already had a user on this very forum parting out his canvas on the for sale section of this website because of a botched attempt at taking this apart.

I would say this is sensitive device when it comes to electronics. Since there is so much software required, more then most, to run everything from the ntrig digitizer system, the NFC(near field communication) for the Keyboard as well as the intricate internals its unlike 99% of the hardware available out there today and it has to be treated as such. Any ways I love my canvas and I'm sure it will be one of my most appreciated devices ill own given how much I love to paint and draw.

I always keep my laptops, Iv got an alienware from 2004 that I still bust out for ****s and giggles every once in awhile, kinda of like a retro thursday night. Every fan has a lifespan, most laptops can outlive there crappy fans that are used in them. What Iv done with my fans is after so many years they start to make a noise, no where near what was heard in your video but what I do is tape of a section around the fan and spray a micro bead of some type of lubricant(WD-40) and usually the fans snap out of it and are silent once again. That's after cleaning them of course, a dusty fan isn't going to sound any better no matter how much lube you spray on it if its got grit inside it. This isn't what your fan sounds like. I agree with the above commenter though that it sounds like the fan is misaligned from an impact or something got in the grill and reached your fan from your bag as in some type of debris e.g. sand, grit, twine, lol, or gravel and such. Its an expensive device, I would as a last resort go on ebay and find one of those 100 dollar laptop services where you can send your device in and have them do what ever needs to be done and make sure theres some type of warranty with them, as in if they break it there paying for it. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...vice.TRS0&_nkw=laptop+repair+service&_sacat=0

As far as the screen is concerned with the touch inputs, look into booting it into safe mode to start and see if its doing it. Theres also a calibration tool in windows, just type in the search box calibrate and the touch and pen calibration software will come up. What worked with me, cause I had a similar issue as you, is I just reset it after I had calibrated it a bunch of times and things went back to normal.
    [​IMG]

I would maybee look into starting from scratch as well. Get acronis image ghost or something comparable and make an entire copy of your windows so you don't lose any info, then id restore the canvas back to its original state, and after that is done I would hold off on the drivers for a bit and see if you cant get the machine in a useable state that is catering to what you want it to do for you. You can also download this software minitool, you can partition a section of your HD for another Operation system like ubuntu and see if the screen is still doing that. Id do it myself but my canvas for the most part is satisfying me so I dont want to go mess it up.

Anyway since im sure theres no warranty left those are a few things you can waste your time doing, maybee something will work it self out and if all of that fails start parting it out like the person that botched taking it apart and sell whats left on the for sale section of tabletpcreview.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    Want2OpenVaioZCanvas likes this.
  2. Want2OpenVaioZCanvas

Want2OpenVaioZCanvas Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, Jbaks and everyone involved in the thread-- thank you for all the helpful replies. Great news is the fan and the touch screen ghosting problem has been solved! Er-- I don't know how the fan got fixed, but it just stopped making that noise all of the sudden.

The screen calibration tool that @Steve S has provided seems to have worked! Thank you so much!

Going back to the fan, I have no idea why the noise stopped... Maybe there's a debris in there that came off or something... it's been almost two weeks and I have yet to hear another grinding noise.

The keyboard uses NFC?? I thought NFC was only able to communicate when the devices are directly facing each other... That's certainly interesting..!

I think I'll open it one day when the battery and fan completely craps out... I don't think I could trust ebay to get my laptop fixed (although their price is very VERY convincing...)

I'll update if I occur to such problems again! Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Marty likes this.
  3. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

Its RF frequency it uses with the keyboard, not bluetooth to connect to the tablet. I knew i was going to mess that up lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.