Vaio Z Canvas Fan (grinding/rattling) Noise.

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Want2OpenVaioZCanvas, Apr 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Want2OpenVaioZCanvas

Want2OpenVaioZCanvas Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey, guys. I've owned the canvas for a year now. I've been running into many issues with this tablet (ranging from randomly disconnecting keyboard, corner of the touch screen ghosting, and occasion pen input delay, and etc...)

Since last week, my triple noise cancelling fans has gone bonkers and started to do what it's not supposed to do: make (grinding) noises.

I've uploaded a video of it here:

Is anyone having the same issues?

2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Sounds like one of the fans has an axis misalignment...did it by any chance, suffer any large impacts?

I wrote a little bit about possible solutions to the pen dropouts / ghost touches here but I have not been able to find a 100% solution.

I don't use the keyboard that much, but I suggest fully discharging it, then charging it with the tablet connector. Hook it up via USB first, then unplug and try to use it wireless. If that doesn't work, try the firmware update and repeat.

I'm compiling an issues list, so let me know if you come up with any new unique solutions too.

(Also if you are a heavy user and have thoughts on how the tablet could be improved, please write your opinions! :thumbsup:)

Want2OpenVaioZCanvas likes this.
  3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...my triple noise cancelling fans has gone bonkers and started to do what it's not supposed to do: make (grinding) noises...>>

...I have to agree that it sounds like it might be a mechanical malfunction, but I would recommend that you at least try to clean out the air passages with an aerosol duster, just to see if it makes any beneficial difference. You can find these pressurized dusters at camera stores / departments and also where computers are sold (e.g., Best Buy). Gently insert the extension tube just inside the vent louvers and spray generously.

Good luck...

Want2OpenVaioZCanvas likes this.
  4. Want2OpenVaioZCanvas

Thanks for the prompt and helpful response!

To answer your question, I don't recall causing large impact on this device because I always keep on in my desk. (I've put it in my bag sometimes along with a casing, even then I don't recall chucking my bag against the wall or anything like that )

Weird thing is it stopped making the rattling noise for now, but I have a feeling it might come back sooner or later.

As for the keyboard disconnecting issue, I've already tried the similar steps you've provided. unfortunately enough, I never had these issues until I updated my keyboard driver. VAIO keeps saying it's an interference issue and keeps suggesting to move any other devices that are wireless capable, but it's not so possible when you're in a classroom condition where there's tons of these things fighting you. I simply can't buy their excuses.

For the ghost touches, when I'm playing a html5 video for example, for some reason it keeps registering non existent touch inputs. As a result, the player bar keeps popping up when viewed in full screen mode. Some times, (although very rarely) the x button is pressed sometimes and closes out of the program.

The sound is gone for now. I'll keep the thread updated in case anything goes nuclear :)

5. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

I work in a very sandy and dusty environment and my T904 fan, which was never quiet to begin with, started rattling the same way. Unfortunately once a fan becomes misaligned it can never be corrected, so the only solution is to replace the fan. My replacement fan is already starting to rattle again and I'm afraid I'm going to have to replace it again.

I understand the Vaio Z Canvas is very simple to open except for a tricky display cable. Depending on how comfortable you are with opening your device, you could replace the fan yourself for a few bucks or have a technician replace it for a few hundred.

6. Want2OpenVaioZCanvas

It's a bit unfair for it to be doing this already, considering I've only owned this device a year and 1 month to be exact. I've been trying to find tutorials on how to open this up myself, but without any visual tutorials, I don't trust myself enough to execute this properly without breaking something. I don't even know how I could approach disconnecting the wifi cables on the top. Will it have any side effects if I keep using it this way?

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I never had these issues until I updated my keyboard driver...>>

...I could be mistaken, but somewhere else in these threads I think I remember another user reporting that VAIO provided him with a utility that restored the original keyboard firmware, so you might ask VAIO about that. (In the case that I remember(?), I think the keyboard firmware update stalled, so the need was to restore operation of the keyboard (which was inoperative).)

<<...For the ghost touches...for some reason it keeps registering non existent touch inputs...>>

...I may just be repeating Marty, but have you downloaded the calibration utility from the VAIO Support page and tried it? http://us.vaio.com/support/knowledge-base/vjz12a-vjz13a-touch-panel-calibration-tool/ IIRC, you simply download it to your desktop and run it from there; it doesn't need to be installed...

<<...I understand the Vaio Z Canvas is very simple to open...>>

...I've never attempted to open my ZC, but based on the pictures, I don't agree that it is easy to open. I have extensive hobby experience with electronics, and I wouldn't attempt it, so take that for what little it might be worth. The biggest potential issue that I see is getting to the screws that are behind the vent grill at the top. A very thin screwdriver looks to be required, probably a watchmaker's screwdriver or something similar. The Japanese web page that vaguely suggests how you would open the case is here: http://monota.me/?p=1559 Note the picture of the screwdriver...

jbaks and Want2OpenVaioZCanvas like this.
  8. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Want2OpenVaioZCanvas, good news. I was feeling grumbly about having to replace my T904 fan AGAIN, so as a last-ditch effort I dripped some high-grade mineral oil (synthetic baby oil) all over the fan through the intake grill while it was running at full speed, and let it soak. SURPRISE, the fan grinding is gone!

On the previous fan I tried air-spray and it just made everything worse, probably because it further unbalanced the fan.

I expect that the oil will mix with dirt and turn to grime eventually, the fan will die. However it was dying anyway so I'd rather it die quietly than die rattling and grinding.

Of course the oil might end up completely destroying the motherboard if the components react with it..

Marty likes this.
  9. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That was ballsy...I would be afraid making a mess of the internals, haha.

But a certainly a unique solution! :D

10. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Oh, it's a mess, the fan and much of the motherboard are coated in mineral oil, but so far everything's fine. The noise was really getting to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.