Vaio Z Canvas display backlight

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Janolschewski, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Janolschewski

Janolschewski Pen Pal - Newbie

For some reason my display backlight stopped working a few days ago. I checked the connector at the back but it seams to be ok. Is the backlight connected differntly? When I point a lightsource at the screen i can see it works, touch control and the stylus are fine as well. Since i live in germany it would s..k to have to send it to vaio in the US. Does anyone have had that issue? could there be a blown out fuse for the backlight?

Thanks

Jan

2. hedehede81

hedehede81 Pen Pal - Newbie

Weakest point of Vaio Z Canvas is that brown video cable and connector. And that is the only cable connecting the display to the motherboard, so backlight should be there too. If you can take a detailed macro photo of the connector and the board, I might have a look at it for possible components.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  3. Janolschewski

Janolschewski Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, thank you. I will make detailed pictures today. It looks like the cable is ok but the connector lost the gray latch and some pins were bend when it popped out.

4. hedehede81

hmm, sounds bad I fear. There are people selling their Vaio Z Canvas for parts just because of this silly cable and connector. Avoid doing any more physical contact with it. Still waiting for the photo. That black compression latch is critical to make the pins contact with the cable. Also, when opening the latch sometimes some pins get ripped off the PCB, so reflowing/resoldering the connector is also necessary. Considering the service fees at US, forward and back shipping costs and explaining things at the Customs etc, it might be more wise to take it to a good cell phone repair shop locally. They fix connectors like these all the time, and might have more chance with it under good magnification and patience.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2016
  5. hedehede81

any luck with your situation?

6. Jingelman

Jingelman Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey, i have the same situation here. I went ogre mode and ripped that ..... tiny latch off. I know a shop where they can do the soldering but i can not find the part. At least not for sure. Does anybody know were I can get it from? Picture below shows the broken connector in the bottom left of the board. it's 41 Pins and should be about a 0,35mm pitch. shipping to europe would be great but i am happy about every chance!

Thanks maybe we can save my canvas from death

Attached Files:

Marty likes this.
  7. Nelson A S

Nelson A S Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anybody have this connector and battery for sony z canvas to sell?

Attached Files:

8. Leslie Alves santos

Leslie Alves santos Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, good afternoon, does anyone know how to get this flex cable?

Attached Files:

9. HawkLS

HawkLS Pen Pal - Newbie

There's a member of this forum that had his Z Canvas fallen dead on his hand and he's selling parts of it. Check it out:

JoeS likes this.
  10. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

A little tip for anyone having display/backlight-issues on the VAIO Z Canvas that isn't related to damaged connectors or display-cable, there is an edgy fuse for the backlight on the mainboard (see the picture).
    Check it with a multimeter and if it's dead replace it with a proper one or replace it with a blob of solder like I did (not recommended!).
    IMG_20170102_162157.jpg

Marty likes this.