Vaio Z Canvas battery failure? Stuck at 52%, won't power up unplugged

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by orotea, Jul 5, 2017.

1. orotea

orotea Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, I actually got my Canvas last year. After quite a long time of not using it, when I tried to boot it up to take it to work on the go, I realized that it no longer could. I could only turn it on once I plugged the AC power directly into it, and on turning on, it shows a battery life of 52%, but won't budge. If I were to unplug the power, the canvas would die.

I'm not living in the US and just wondering if I actually should prepare myself since there was a thread where someone shared that they don't do repairs or battery replacements? Would it be the same if I were to try have it sent to Japan for repairs/battery replacement?

(And I'm not sure if this is related or not, but on the bottom of the Canvas screen, there's some brown-ish residue along the length where it stands, particularly on the right side.)

2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think this is probably a battery connector issue. I would recommend not leaving it plugged in, in case of a charging defect affecting the battery cells.

For service, I would recommend either phoning VAIO US to see if they'll take your unit (they will charge $100 to assess the device) or manually replacing the battery and if necessary, the battery ribbon.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  3. Seel

Seel Pen Pal - Newbie

There's a battery care mode for vaio that could be doing that.
    I have mine set up not to charge past 50% because I use it plugged in constantly, this will increase the battery lifespan.
    Maybe this is activated for your unit? It's somewhere in the Vaio care app.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...There's a battery care mode for vaio that could be doing that...It's somewhere in the Vaio care app...>>

Start > VAIO Control Center > Power and Battery > Battery Care Function

You can limit charging to 80% or 50%

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...on the bottom of the Canvas screen, there's some brown-ish residue along the length where it stands, particularly on the right side...>>

...I meant to ask about that. If this residue dry or is it wet / sticky? Either way, it might suggest that one of the cells in your battery has ruptured, in which case you need to return your ZC for repair as soon as possible. However, before you do this, make sure that the residue isn't something that you picked up in your local environment, like a food spill on a table...

6. jbaks

jbaks Pen Pal - Newbie

like a food spill on a table...:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
    steve your so funny some times. I would say your going way to deep in reasoning with the problem but then again it probably was some left over BBQ the poor canvas swam in unbeknown to the owner.