VAIO Z Canvas AC Adapter

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by SPtheALIEN, Apr 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. SPtheALIEN

SPtheALIEN Pen Pal - Newbie

I have misplaced my AC adapter for the non-Sony VAIO Z Canvas tablet/laptop thing. The vendor has been out of stock for the past four months. All my searches for a Z Canvas AC Adapter keep bringing up the Sony ones--but the VAIO Z Canvas was made after Sony let go of that division.

Does anyone know if there are non-VAIO specific Z Canvas chargers? Will the Sony ones work? Times like this, I wish Radio Shack was still around.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Does anyone know if there are non-VAIO specific Z Canvas chargers? Will the Sony ones work?..>>

...IIRC, this was discussed some time ago. The Z Canvas AC adapter produces 19.5 V DC at 3.3 A. However, some AC adapters produce a code whereby the tablet can identify that the right AC adapter has been connected. Some tablets will not charge if they do not receive the correct code, so you are right to be cautious.

As a test, I set up my Omni Ultimate external battery to produce 19.5 V / 3.3 A and then plugged it into my Z Canvas with the correct connector. The Z Canvas showed the battery charging with no issues. Therefore, it would appear that any AC adapter will do the job as long as it produces the correct voltage (19 V to 20 V) and at least 3.3 A (more is OK) and has a compatible connector. However, I agree that finding one may be an issue. I checked eBay and found a couple of units that looked like they might be OK. Here's one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19-5V-For-...520936&hash=item25df3d8eb3:g:In8AAOSwHuha1qK-

The fact that they are Sony shouldn't be an issue.

Good luck.

Marty and SPtheALIEN like this.
  3. SPtheALIEN

SPtheALIEN Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you! I was wary of something else, but you've given me the confidence to try a universal one.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2019