Vaio tap 11 Defects/error (please contribute)

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by orangpelupa, Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. naujoks

naujoks Pen Pal - Newbie

My keyboard has stopped working completely. When I switch it on, there's no LEDs flashing up, and when I put it on the tablet to charge, the charging light doesn't come on.
    Has anyone else had this?

2. chegamais

chegamais Pen Pal - Newbie

Pen pressure sensitivity is not working on Photoshop, and I bought the Tap 11 just to do work on Photoshop, so you can see that the tap 11 right now is as good as useless for my kind of work. I need sony or adobe to fix this issue.

3. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

4. chegamais

chegamais Pen Pal - Newbie

5. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Scribbler - Standard Member

Hyper-V does not work on the Tap 11. If Hyper-V is installed and on, the tablet will not go to sleep correctly and will instead treat it as a normal boot-up, i.e. restarting your computer. This is a BIOS issue and most likely because they did not implement S3 sleep correctly. See this thread at the Sony Community: vaio duo 13 Virtualization Enabled issue - Hyper-V support Although, it specifically mentions the Duo 13, the Tap 11 presents the same issues.

6. Diversion

Diversion Pen Pal - Newbie

Just adding my experience I had with my Tap 11 (returned it):

Keyboard misses keystrokes all the time.. I'm a pretty fast and precise typer and this was annoying, I would never be able to take the Tap 11's keyboard seriously.

CPU fan always running.. Audible.. and this was on a the Pentium 3560Y.. Maybe not a defect but bad design.

7. seemebreakthis

seemebreakthis Pen Pal - Newbie

Perhaps you can give the pairing tool a try: VAIO Tap 11 Keyboard Stopped Responding - Sony's Community Site

8. seemebreakthis

seemebreakthis Pen Pal - Newbie

The inability to customize keyboard touchpad gesture is definitely a big minus for me. I usually turn off all the button click and scrolling/zooming gestures with other touchpads but I simply can't do it with this one.

The keyboard sucks big time in general - biggest problem being missed keystrokes.

The fan is actually pretty quiet on my machine. Maybe i7 doesn't get cranked up too often during everyday use. Not a problem for me.

Keyboard disconnect - what I usually do is to go to the settings charm then the network option under 'change pc settings'. then go to the 'airplane mode' screen. as soon as you do this even without doing anything else the keyboard starts reviving itself 99% of the time.

Another problem with the tap 11 is performance. The i7 machine simply doesn't run as fast as one would expect. I found out later that the thing would overheat very easily triggering CPU / GPU throttling. Once that happens the i7 would perform like an i3 or even worse. Very evident if you run benchmarks on the machine.

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to change the TDP settings etc to adjust the throttling behavior. Ended up undervolting the CPU which actually made my machine snappier + running longer per change. Will post a separate message to share my findings.

9. dmy1090

dmy1090 Pen Pal - Newbie

My vaio tap 11 indicates that the battery is not detected and it cannot be used unless it is plugged in to the AC supply, pls help the battery indicator displays 'no battery is detected'

10. benedict5000

benedict5000 Pen Pal - Newbie

This is a terrible machine. It might be OK as a toy or for watching youtube, but if you want to get any work done DON'T BUY THIS. The keyboard connection is intermittent depending on what other bluetooth devices are in the area I think. So it skips letters of gets stuck and has to catch up - especially annoying when deleting of scrolling. The keyboard freezes frequently and requires a restart to get it back. The keyboard runs out of juice way before the tablet so you either have to work on the touch screen - ie stop work; or - like me - carry another keyboard everywhere - which totally defeats the purpose of having something slim and light!

And even if you do plug in a peripheral mouse and keyboard the machine doesn't like it and freezes out every few minutes for ten or fifteen seconds. And I have tries this with a dozen keyboards and mouse combos.

Like I say - It's fine for a toy or watching movies, but it will drive you crazy if you want to get anything done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.