VAIO No Longer Innovating?

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Steve S, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

VAIO's slow slide continues. Their website was recently updated and references to the Z Canvas and the Flip have been removed. Now, they only offer the "New VAIO S" laptop (with 8th Gen i7-8550U processor) and the "VAIO S (2017)."

To their credit, they still offer the Z Canvas Pen and the AC Adapter as accessories, but that's it.

So sad...

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

A while ago I was in an electronics shop and they had three Vaio models on sale, maybe they are focusing on domestic market first. It is a premium product and Best Buy or Staples might not feel like the right outlets for them?

nnthemperor likes this.
  3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't think that's quite fair to say, as they are still actively pushing the performance and cooling on their CPUs beyond what other manufacturers offer—while keeping that signature VAIO sleekness. (I mean just look at how chunky rival Panasonic's thermal design is to cool the same 8th gen processor!)

In this recent interview with VAIO engineers they talk about how they uncap the TDP limit on the chip to give higher sustained performance on the new VAIO S:

(VAIO)
    [​IMG]
    Maxon Cinebench Version 15.0.3.8
    [​IMG]

Not a massive difference to be sure, but still requiring that extra-mile of engineering effort:

(Anandtech)
    "VAIO admits it needed to redesign its CPU VRMs as well as its cooling system to remove the extra heat. The new cooler has a thicker vent (and probably an enlarged radiator) as well as apply a new fan rotation speed control algorithm to ensure that the chips do not overheat."

So "not innovating," no. Not innovating as much as they could? Definitely.

...I'm looking at you VAIO Z Canvas 2.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    lovelaptops likes this.
  4. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah I just had to say I'm disappointed the company couldn't continue efforts to cement their brand in media creation. I would've even been happy if further iterations of the ZC had been dialed back in a fashion similar to the S series (IIRC) to keep costs similarly in low $1000s. Actually, that would have even been preferable for me, since build quality and ergonomics are all I tend to really be after.

They had a solid workflow going with the buttons on top, even if it wasn't Wacom expresskey levels of craziness, especially considering you had plenty of other 3rd party hotkey options. I guess we're never going to see it again? It's not like some other company will be itching to pay them for their patents/drivers to use in their machine...

5. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Man, I was just thinking how crazy it would be if they released a new Vaio Z Canvas with a Coffee Lake 6-core.

lovelaptops likes this.
  6. Steve S

<<...I was just thinking how crazy it would be if they released a new Vaio Z Canvas with a Coffee Lake 6-core...>>

...I think that "crazy" is the operative word, there...

But seriously, I'm disappointed, too. VAIO looked they might really be in it for creatives, but I guess that they couldn't find the market share...

7. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

I think a lot of their initial products may well have come from designs that were well underway while they were still part of Sony (who, while suffering, could still bring in investment from other parts of the company).

Then those devices don't seem to have sold particularly well, so maybe they have slimmed down their product line.

Investors also don't tend to be as eager to invest money as larger companies do in departments.

Japanese companies also tend to focus on their domestic market first, I guess partly because it's protected from foreign companies to an extent (both commercially and through what Japanese consumers will buy; particularly older consumers who have more money to spend).

That's all pure speculation by someone who has no expertise in any of this though.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    lovelaptops likes this.
  8. Steve S

@Tams : I think you're right on most of this. I have always suspected that the Z Canvas was either a Sony development or a "cross-over product," started by Sony R&D and perhaps finished up by the same people when they became VAIO...

9. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And I bet those same people (engineers/designers) are still super proud of their creation. Now if there was only a way to let them know how much we appreciate their effort...

If the newer high-end slates from MS and HP sell well, I'll bet ZC2 could land back on their product roadmap.

Case in point: I bet the first Surface Book didn't move many units, but boy look at the hype around the 2nd gen SBs! Tech sites are already clamoring for a 3rd gen!

There's no reason why the VAIO couldn't put their technical chops into a "Z Canvas Book" with detachable GPU dock/keyboard. Now that would be worthy next-gen Z! A true fusion of their laptop and tablet design legacies. (drool..) :)

thatcomicsguy and bloodycape like this.
  10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Refreshing candor @Tams ! Give that man a rep, from days of yore!