Vaio Duo 11 User Upgradeable?

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by 2disbetter, Oct 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2disbetter

2disbetter Function over Form

I've noticed when looking at builds of the Duo 11, that there seems to be a built in 4gb RAM stick in there, and a user upgradeable RAM slot. I'm assuming it's a stand laptop size 1600 RAM.

So my question is, what is the theoretical MAX RAM on this? I know you can get it in 8gb configurations, but I don't see any reason I couldn't put an 8gb stick in the upgradeable slot? Maybe even a 16gb provided you wanted to spend that much, and if the chipset supports it. I think I remember reading that even Sandy Bridge could theoretically go that high.

Anyone more versed on it than me want to comment?

2d

2. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

My Vaio TT with a ulv C2D unofficially supports 8gb of ram(some 6gb). Before discontinuing it Sony offered 8gb of ram as an option for it. So, I am sure if there is a unused slot you could try to get 8gb to work. If older ulv machines support 8gb of ram, why wouldn't the newest in that product line.

3. 2disbetter

Well I was pointing out that the last generation core i's supported 16gb even though their manufacturers indicated 8gb was a maximum.

What I guess I was trying to get someone to answer instead of me google-fu'ing it was what are the ivory bridge chipset limitations in this regard.

2d

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

In general, I see no reason why you can't max out at 12 GB RAM. The Ivy Bridge memory controller can handle the 16GB. Two potential problems I see are Sony's Bios (which can be very restrictive) and stability of the 4GB vs. 8GB modules. On the 4GB/8GB issues, try to match the specs as much as you can to keep the compatability issues to a minimum and you should be okay. Sony's bios is another issue. Until somebody tries it, you can't tell. As far as getting a full 16GB out of the Duo, I guess you could try a 12 GB DDR3 DIMM but I could see Bios and controller issues. If you can find a 12GB single DIMM it will be a lot more than the 8GB RAM. I don't know if a 16GB max ram controller is set up to handle anything greater than an 8GB single Dimm at 1600 speeds. If it does allow it, it could downclock it, defeating the whole purpose of adding the extra RAM.

5. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

I already have an 8GB SO-DIMM waiting to go into the Duo 11 when it arrives on the 29th, so I'll know quickly if Sony limited the machine in EFI to only 8GB. It in theory should be able to go to 16GB, but with 4GB onboard and not accessible (and maybe soldered to the motherboard), 12 is probably it. There is no such thing as a 12GB SO-DIMM that I've seen for laptops.

6. 2disbetter

Some thoughts that are losely based on this topic:

The Duo 11 seems to be the current champ of the tablet war as far as specs and upgrade-ability go. All other tablets as far as I know have a single 4gb RAM slot that cannot be altered. The Surface Pro will have up too 8gb of RAM, and it's yet to be seen if that means dual slots or a single 8gb soldered chip.

I personally think after the surface pro is released and specs are all confirmed many people will circle back to the duo 11.

2d

7. RudiVisser

RudiVisser Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey

FenderP I'm curious as to your experience. I picked up a Vaio Duo last night and am eager to install an 8GB module in it, did yours work? Also where is the slot on this thing?

R

8. manhattan

manhattan Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, I kind of think it's not easily user upgrade-able. I don't see an easy access cover/panel/slot, as one does in most laptops/tablets that do grant access.

I've been playing Skyrim on both my HP2760p and the Duo 11.
    I find the HP2760P much more fluid, and the loading times unimaginably faster. I can't even finish reading the first "tip" between loads, on the HP while I'm able to read several tips on the Duo 11.
    I kind of figured it's because the HP has 2x4GB (I added the 2nd 4GB stick myself) where as the Duo11 has the 1x4GB that it comes with. So I was kind of curious about sticking another 4GB stick in there...

I don't see how... I find some screws in the back, but I don't see corresponding screws on the front anywhere -moreover, as far as I can tell this looks like it's meant to remove the entire bottom plate.

I think the Duo 11 is meant to be upgrade-able but maybe not meant to be [typical] user [such as myself] upgrade-able, as such.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the matter -especially if there is someone out there who has already upgraded the RAM themselves.

Also, if you think the reason Skyrim plays (marginally) better on the HP2760P is not really to the RAM but something else altogether, I'd appreciate that feedback too.

9. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

As I said in the other thread, I didn't bother trying to upgrade. It's not even remotely easy to get at the memory. It's possible - if you look at the PortableOne config, they put in 8GB for a total of 12. But if you mess up opening this sucker you'll void the warranty which is not something I want to do at this point. Someone can try it if they want; I gave up. It looks like pretty much none of the ultrabooks - even though they can technically support > 8GB - can't be upgraded (at least easily). I've done stuff lik this and I pretty much think I've figured out by looking where the screws are how to open it, but I'm not chancing it.

Remember that the processor in the Duo is a ULV, so your speed issue manhattan is probably due to that. I notice that Lightroom is a bit slow and laggy on the Duo compared to my Panasonic J10 which has a full blown i7. For most normal tasks the Duo 11 will be equivalent, but for anything more processor intensive, no dice.

10. Jandroos

Jandroos Pen Pal - Newbie

Just bought one from portable one with 12gb RAM I'll let you know how it goes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.