1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

Vaio Duo 11 - Battery Life

Discussion in 'Sony' started by paul.p, Nov 22, 2012.

1. paul.p

paul.p Pen Pal - Newbie

I decided to do a battery test today because it didn't seem that I was getting the suggested battery life out of the Duo 11.

Model: Vaio Duo 11 i5 128GB/6GB

Testing: I ran the test with the battery in "power saver" mode, wifi enabled, and Bluetooth disabled. I set the computer to never sleep or dim the screen with the screen set to 40% brightness. I wanted to get some load on the cpu so I opened up the "Pinball FX 2" game and let its splash screen run. I had a few applications running in the background including explorer, zinio, and Xbox music playing music through the speakers at a volume of 10. I noticed cpu load to be around 12% with that configuration. During the test I didn't touch the system, I just let it run as stated above until it shut down by itself.

Results:
    I started with 97% battery at 8am after a full nights charge.
    The computer put itself to sleep at 11:05am when it got to 4% battery remaining.

Based on these result it looks like the maximum battery life I can achieve is 3hrs. Wondering what other people are getting out of their Duo 11 batteries.
  2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

The estimated battery life does not involve continuous media playback and a game running in the background.

For just MS Office use with wifi on, balanced power mode, I get a bit over four hours. Haven't measured exactly.
  3. Erik2929

Erik2929 Pen Pal - Newbie

Default battery seems to be weak anyway you need extra sheet battery for decent battery life
  4. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Pen Pal - Newbie

Those Modern UI games are battery eaters, which I find surprising. My Duo goes nearly 5 hours when word processing and surfing with WiFi and brightness at 40%. But Mahjong and Pinball FX drain the battery very quickly on the Duo and other touchscreen Windows 8 and Windows RT devices like the Surface RT. These are not demanding games, so it makes no sense why they're so hard on battery life.
  5. area52

area52 Scribbler - Standard Member

At the Sony store, they showed me the battery slice. Forgot to ask how much that adds to the battery runtime. I was quite impressed with the inking.
  6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Doubles it.
  7. cbrotherson

cbrotherson Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums (found them really useful in my hunt for a hybrid device, so thanks). Currently looking at a possible Duo 11 purchase, with the battery life and weight the only issues - tried it at my local shop so the form factor was actually good for me.

Does the battery slice add much weight to the system? Right now I'm used to karting my Samsung NC10 around, which is generally the same heft as the Duo 11. If it's not much heavier with the slice attached then that may be ideal.
  8. skallal

skallal Pen Pal - Newbie

I managed to find the sheet battery at a local Frys store even when the local Sony store. I quickly did an online order at Frys to hold the battery, but when I got there they couldn't find it. Fortunately there was one left on the shelves and it was mine! I haven't put the battery it's full paces yet. But it reports a total of eight or nine hours when fully charged.

I find the Duo 11 to be heavy for use as a tablet already. But the battery sheet makes it especially so. At least now I know that I can take it into a meeting and not have to bring the charger.

I'll report in again when I have more experience with the battery.
  9. FenderP

FenderP Pen Pal - Newbie

The sheet does not make it heavy - an iPad it's not, but it's not 4lbs. It's around the 3lb mark which is where most of my PCs have been for 10 years. The slice adds very little weight compared to other extended life batteries I've used over the years.
  10. cbrotherson

cbrotherson Pen Pal - Newbie

Cheers guys. My local shop actually had a slice in so I tried it myself and was surprised - it's a noticable difference, but still not bad. Placed my order 2 days later using the free processor upgrade offer. Just awaiting delivery now!

Thanks again, all.