vaio canvas 2nd edition

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by jbaks, Aug 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So with the release of the new Surface Studio, where I noted the significant advancements MS has made in precision and responsiveness, I am now happy to say I am totally down with VAIO sticking with N-Trig into the future.

Unless VAIO is planning to make the unlikely shift to a DTK EMR digitizer like on the Mobile Studio Pro (but retain the svelte 3:2 form factor of course), I feel N-Trig gives us the best long term prospects for AES-based pen performance.

Let's just say if Panos and his team can engineer a "zero-gravity hinge" for Studio, they can certainly engineer a "zero-pressure" tip for a new Surface Pen, which takes care of one of the last long-standing complaints of N-Trig, high IAF.

I would not be surprised is this new pen made it's debut with the SP5 next year.

Therefore, my hope is that VAIO can license the new SP5 digitizer from MS, (which will likely feature the finer digitizing grid of the Surface Studio). This will gives top notch AES performance, allow us to use Surface-related peripherals, and allow a smoother R&D transition for the next iteration of the Canvas.

Please VAIO make this happen, we love the Canvas! ❤ ❤ ❤

Steve S and Selofain like this.
  2. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

I might actually die from euphoria overload if the next Vaio pen resembled the one on this, but they kept the tapered top: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010W69BMY/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_1_r?tag=viglink20241-20

Or this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0X6PIJ?psc=1

2nd one is very much like the standard Wacom DTK pen, but with a longer, more brush-pen-like nib.

Or that goes for any upcoming artist slate.

I might as well mention here, while I'm at it, that the most up-to-date Vaio pen has a critical flaw in my experience. The caps break off far too easily. It broke off the one that first came with my ZC when I accidentally dropped it from about 3 ft high on a tile floor.

Then - I **** you not - my 2nd one, that I finally got when Vaio US started selling them, literally cracked just from me applying a little too much pressure to it from my hand by drawing it "longways" (or whatever you call it when you position the top of the pen in your hand, using its maximum length to make strokes).

So, after the 2nd one broke, I took one of the caps from the older Sony version (seriously, I have like 4 of these Ntrig pens total), screwed it on the VAIO one, and it's fine. I wasn't about to fork out another $65-70.

I think there's a piece of cone-shaped plastic inside the cap that is made out of recycled grocery bags or something in the VAIO version.

When I finally format my ZC's HDD to try to fix that longstanding pen cursor issue, I may try getting an SP4 pen again, and hopefully it will work properly. I'll just need to find a pen grip that's suitable for it.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    Marty likes this.
  3. Marty

This exact thing happened to me too!

Looking at the inner construction on the cap, I have feeling the original design was a full metal attachment. However they realized that it made the pen top-heavy, so they hollowed out the cap and replaced it with plastic! Ugh. :vbfrown:

Next time VAIO, make it a full aluminum body like the SP4 pen! I've dropped that thing dozens of times, and it still functioning fine. :newpalm:

I would like a finer, more brushpen-like nib too. Here's a clearer shot:

[​IMG]

Bonus points if they can make the nib as fine as the new Wacom Pro Pen 2 nibs, which make old tips look positively humongous:

[​IMG]

However, I would like to keep the smaller AAAA barrel diameter, as I find the fat-barrel Cintiq pens block too much of the canvas when I'm drawing.

Also, a smaller barrel means it's easier to attach to a pen clip, or to a pen loop sewn on a case (I've created such a folio for the Z Canvas, by modifying my EP121 case).

Depending on when you do this, it might be worth waiting for the SP5 announcement. I have strong feeling they will update the pen again, but this focus on improving the pressure sensor. :thumbsup:

neongolden likes this.
  4. Marty

Another improvement for the Canvas 2 (which I've spent much time considering and discussing), is increasing the screen area.

Following the trend of both Microsoft (Surface Book) and Apple (upcoming iPad 10.9) in shrinking the bezel size with in new devices, I feel a slightly-larger Canvas 2 could achieve a perfect balance of portability and screen area for artists.

It may be surprising to note that even the compact chassis of Z Canvas could sport a 14" display, if they used a bezel-less design.

Realistically, if VAIO increased the body of Canvas to a Surface Book-sized frame, they could probably fit a 14.1" screen (with ~1/4" bezels) which would be a dream to draw on.

(The reduced bezels would require a switch to OLED or QLED technology, as even the current edge-lit LED design is suffering from back-light bleeding.)

Why do I say this would be the "perfect balance" for artists?

Well Wacom's new MSPs are certainly attractive, but they are sacrifice too much portability and are further hampered by a 16:9 aspect ratio.

You can see just how much difference 3:2 vs 16:9 makes by looking at @Brian123's mock-up video comparing the MSP13, MSP16, and ZC (@0:35):

It's surprising how little the vertical screen dimension changes between the 15.6" MSP16 and the tiny 12.5" ZC...

[​IMG]

Now imagining a 14.1" Canvas 2:

[​IMG]

We've got a very comparable real-estate to draw on. :thumbsup:

Now combining that with VAIO legendary compute performance and thermal engineering, the Canvas 2 could be a literal Wacom-killer! :vbwink:

kvoram and neongolden like this.
  5. neongolden

Something else I would love is if they revisit the Duo concept by literally having the computer portion deploy out the back of the screen and double as a stand -- not far removed at all from a miniature Surface Studio. Then I would personally like the screen to have about 4-5 fixed positions it could go into. Any heat, or minor vibration annoyances would go out the window, which was a nice luxury Duo owners had.

Maybe I should email that to Vaio US LOL. Except I doubt it would matter, they're probably already aware of the idea, and I'm hardly an engineer. I just feel like if any company could do something like that, it might be them.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  6. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

Haha, 3rd! But I must say I like the reduced top weight.

7. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A little bit better battery life (Battery Bar Pro is telling me an average of 4:16 for my use case; I'd like 6-7), backlight on the damn keyboard, and settings for the trackpad for crying out loud.

8. hipno515

hipno515 Pen Pal - Newbie

Plus 802.11 ac/ad WIFI, at least 2 usb3.1 gen2 typeC thunderbolt ports...what else...intel i7 cannonlake processor...only vaio could manage to make something like this

9. neongolden

More opinions/armchair designer because it's 5AM and I have to take a break:

I just had to add, I'd still love it if they kept the slanted cap design. My workflow habits haven't gone in a direction where I ever found an eraser very useful. In some rare case where an eraser would be called into play, I'd be fine with just using a button, "airbrush-style."

The slant makes it one of my favorite styluses out there. I'd just like the breaking cap issue to be fixed, and look into removing the side clip merely to "finalize" it as an art -- not an office -- utensil. The clip is extremely soft edged so it's not very annoying at all; it can even be useful as a guide to keep you acclimated to where the buttons are, and I've been guilty of using it a few times in a shirt pocket, but I never store it that way for long because it's just too expensive (not to mention fragile). So ultimately, I think I'd be happier with it gone, and have even considered trying to break it off, but the way it's embedded in the cap is too complicated as far as I can tell.

10. hipno515

hipno515 Pen Pal - Newbie

...oh yeah!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.