vaio canvas 2nd edition

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by jbaks, Aug 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RT545

RT545 Scribbler - Standard Member

As for the XEON E3 1565L, it also seems very similar to 6770HQ in what it has to offer, and advantageous thanks to it's 35W TDP (vs 45W TDP for 6770HQ and 47W TDP for VAIO Z canvas actual processor 4770HQ); it has iris pro P580 (best intel GPU to date, vs iris pro 580 for 6770HQ and iris pro 5200 for 4770HQ) and the recommended customer price is 417$ on intel ARK's website vs 434$ for 6770HQ.

So, this is the best candidate until now, and I do not think there will be such improvements in the next generation that justify to wait for Kaby Lake.

2. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

This thread really makes me want to buy a Vaio Z Canvas 2nd edition... but my device isn't old enough to justify this. Thank goodness the VZC2 doesn't exist.

3. RT545

Another point, maybe, into the wishlist to santa: bigger screen (ex: 13,5 inches, to completely blow surface book's face)...

4. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

I own the NUC with the 6770HQ and it's fine - it has 2 x 1TB NVMe m.2 SSDs and 32GB of RAM. Just like the Z Canvas, it's pretty cool and quiet. I'd settle for that :)

As for the drivers - Vaio is Vaio, so they generally only approve certain things. you can't always use the stock drivers (ah, the Sony lineage :)). That said, the NUC has Windows Server 2012 R2 drivers, so I'd be thrilled if they did this because I could actually put Windows Server as an OS potentially on the v2.

5. RT545

intel's NUC6i7kyk "skull canon" is quite nice, because it is inexpensive compared to a tablet (619.95$ on amazon) but already has all the expected hardware (except of course the screen and digitizer) and another important difference is that you can easily add your memory and hard drive.

This proves that they could actually use something similar as a basis for a quadcore tablet, as we already discussed here
    (people doing the modbook pro could use this as their basis, instead of using the much more expensive (yet similar hardware) from a MacBook pro).

It even has dimensions that are actually smaller than the Z canvas (except the depth of course): 301 × 213 × 13.65 mm for VAIO-Z from @Marty's hype thread specs vs 211 x 116 x 28 mm for the NUC, but supplementary room for the battery needs to be found.

So this kind of machine could be built if the machine builders really wanted to; it could even be built at a competitive price, but that's another story :D...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  6. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

And that thread is exactly what I don't want. The whole point of the Z Canvas is that it is light (sub 3-lb) and 12". I don't want bigger and heavier. If anything, I'd want smaller. I would never buy anything bigger than 13.3". Bigger defeats the entire purpose.

7. RT545

??? Who talked about bigger ???

I actually said that the NUC was SMALLER than the canvas, if you read what I said carefully, and if I can believe the specs that I got on intel's website (and maybe if you have the two devices you can confirm this). So this proves that it can actually be used as a basis to make a device at least as small as the Z canvas or, as you said yourself, that a 6770HQ based hardware can be used to upgrade the Z canvas.

After that, bigger tablets is just a matter of taste and what you do with it. A lot of people on the TabletPCReview forums are artists who also like to have a 15 inches wide drawing surface (like for example dell inspiron 1568 (http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/dell-inspiron-15-7000-15-6-wacom-aes.69641/) or eventually the modbook pro) in order to have more room to do sketching, as a complement of the smaller sketching tablet that is rather used on the move.

Bigger tablets are a difficult thing to make happen today, so that's even more reason to push for it rather than against it, but without stopping the smaller ones in the meantime (just my opinion...)

8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Also remember that a larger screen does not necessarily mean a larger body.

For example, using an OLED screen would eliminate the need for an edge-lit LED backlight plane, thus minimizing the bezels.

In this manner, you could fit the SB-sized 13.5" 3:2 screen on the existing Z Canvas chassis. Or if you used a typical 13.3" laptop frame, you could fit 14.1" 3:2 screen, which would satisfy most professional artists.

The thermal engineering by VAIO in opening up 47W TDP in the 12.5" tablet form factor, really opened up a whole new size-range of possibilities for workstation tablet chassis.

9. RT545

Yes I agree, and a bit more room also offers a supplementary possibility to dissipate even more heat (=> even less fan noise) which would be even better with the XEON E3 1565L and its 35W TDP. The widest possible screen with the smallest possible chassis is the best thing that would need to be achieved; the important thing in order to still consider a wider tablet on the move is that it remains light and slim.

10. RT545

To sum-up:

- 13.3" laptop frame, in which you fit 14.1" 3:2 screen
    - the slimest and lightest possible
    - true SD sized card (not micro SD card) like on the VAIO Z canvas
    - the efficient heat dissipation technology of the Z canvas
    - the XEON E3 1565L and its 35W TDP and its iris pro P580
    - possibility to open it to upgrade the SSD (and even to upgrade the memory like on the intel NUC, DDR4 of course)
    - wacom AES or NTRIG also compatible with USI
    - thunderbolt 3

who votes for this? Let's call this surface book 2 and send this to Microsoft :D...

Model, David B and stormi like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.