vaio canvas 2nd edition

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by jbaks, Aug 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It's also those genuine moments of communication that stick in your heart and mind the longest.

This is basically why I feel humanity's greatest creative work happens in small groups.

So should just phone them up and ask to speak with Ty? I don't want to seem like I'm "going over the heads" of the CS reps.

VAIO has the most responsive CS agents (especially Kai) out of any OEM I've dealt with, so I'd like to remain on a friendly rapport with them. :)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...So should just phone them up and ask to speak with Ty?..>>

...Or just write an appeal using the support e-mail with a request to forward it.

All I can say is that US VAIO is aware of this forum...

3. Marty

I actually tried to do that, when I wrote my retrospective article on the EP121 (which many people still do not know well-preceded the Surface, and even the term 'Ultrabook').

PDF version here (the uncaptioned pictures are video links).

Just as the EP121 was the first "ultra-slate" even before there were officially "ultra-books"...I think the Z Canvas is on the same level of category-defining power slate.

I received no response from ASUS back then (as expected). But I hope I'll have better luck with VAIO, so we won't have another promising tablet abandoned 'ahead of its time'.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm sure it's more difficult with people depending on their scope of management.

Even after people worked their tails off to be accepted into the professional fold at Lucasfilm, it was a standing rule that "You are not allowed to talk to George!!!".

Ha ha.

Sadly, I think that might have been detrimental in the end. -Though, can you imagine how annoying your days would be if you had to field comments from every nerd with ambitions to see "Star Wars versus Star Trek" on the big screen?

5. RT545

RT545 Scribbler - Standard Member

This must be even more frightening if the nerd disguises himself as a wookie in the hope to do the interview;

I thought that, since "The clone wars", he had one or two clones in reserve to respond on his behalf...

6. Marty

Is this separation really good? Is a "Steve Jobs"-complex a required part of running an "efficient" company?

I work as an independent contractor/consultant, partly because I find it ridiculous dealing with internal red tape, just to give some sound design/IT advice to management.

It's made me often consider starting my own studio, one where I would not have to tell my junior artists (or anyone really), "well your opinion isn't valued until you reach the upper ranks".

Just to give some context, I've worked as a developer at IBM during a major company re-org, so I've seen first hand the HR complexities of managing a large firm: too many dissenting voices, contractual policy fairness, yada, yada...

But seriously, why expand the company beyond a certain point, if it's going to limit efficiency and squelch creativity?

I find the currently-accept business norms of management style, hiring practices, and metrics-driven direction not elements of "business reality", as is so often rationalized, but business fantasy that people have made reality.

Apple did its truly ground-breaking work as a small team known the "Pirates"; it was the incubation ground for all of its later innovations.

Countless origin stories of tech and software developers mirror the notion of the small, energetic team...just crazy ideas, crazy challenge, and crazy fun (in hindsight).

Many modern crowd-funded projects (often by the same industry veterans) harken back to the nostalgia of the "good-old days" of development and creativity.

But I say we should stop thinking of a culture of true productivity in such 'wistful' terms and ground it as a serious business challenge—one to be tackled, understood and iterated upon, with as much gravity as any flagship product or service.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  7. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

8. Steve S

Note, however, the graphics...

9. RT545

RT545 Scribbler - Standard Member

Why wait for Kaby Lake? Xeon E3 1565L is there and ready for the task, with its 35W TDP and iris pro P580. And 6770HQ is there too (with iris pro 580) even if it is not very widespread in notebooks today (even the macbook pro did not refresh to skylake yet, although an upgrade to 6770HQ would have been logical (http://appleinsider.com/futures/2016-macbook-pros-with-intel-skylake; http://wccftech.com/looks-like-apples-macbook-pro-2016-buy-list-many-customers)).

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  10. Steve S

<<...And 6770HQ is there too (with iris pro 580)...>>

...I keep wondering the same thing. The 6770HQ, by now, should have a reasonably well-seasoned set of drivers associated with it. If VAIO's objective were to have trouble-free operation, rather than the very latest performance increment, I think that would be a good idea...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.