vaio canvas 2nd edition

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by jbaks, Aug 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I just read an interesting article regarding VAIO's performance over the last year. One quote that makes me optimistic is:

"Mr. Ota said all of the company’s PC lines were profitable in the financial year ended May 31, while contract electronics manufacturing and a Windows smartphone also contributed to its bottom line."

This presumably means the Canvas gained enough market traction to post a profit for VAIO, alleviating at least one concern.

Additionally, they won't be merging with Toshiba after all:

"Now Vaio is ready to take the next step, and it won’t be a marriage with a domestic peer PC manufacturer, Mr. Ota said. Earlier this year, Toshiba Corp. gave up on a plan to merge its unprofitable PC division with Vaio and the PC unit of Fujitsu Ltd. Toshiba officials say they still want to combine its PC unit with Vaio, but Mr. Ota said he sees “no need” for his company to do so."

This means VAIO is confident it can stand based on it's existing product line. Soo....let's go with the Canvas 2! :D

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Toshiba, let's not forget, is probably still trying to get back on their feet after their huge accounting scandal a year or so ago. Just because they nixed the deal doesn't mean Vaio is necessarily happy things turned out the way they did.

It's probably for the best that they don't jump into bed with a faltering giant at this time, but I wonder how desperate they were to have some cash relief in the form of combining efforts with a large company, and if failing this, they will have the resources to keep pushing ahead at the level of quality they were able to provide with the first Canvas.

Time will tell. I sure hope they manage to keep things going as nicely as they have been lately. I think we can all appreciate a company which goes above and beyond when it comes to design.

3. Marty

It's really a shame that upper management created such a disaster that the whole pc division of Toshiba is now in ruins. Many people don't know that Toshiba actually made some of the best current-gen (until the scandal) EMR tablets. Take the Dynabook Kira L93, which actually preceded the Canvas at being a productivity machine marketed for "the creator".

I'm still tempted to get one, as the build quality seems solid and it's one of the few 13.3" Core i EMR tablets left on the market. Heck, I probably would have one, had the Canvas not gone on sale this year. Toshiba still has my vote for being one of the few companies with the balls and design skills to create a quality 2-in-1 for the artist market.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Core i-Y processor, there's your problem....

5. Marty

You're looking at the lowest-end model. There are other builds available with Core U processors, for example, the PL93PGP-ZHA with a Core i7 5500U...it's no quad-core Canvas, but no slouch either, on par with the i5-3320M in the T902 by PassMark score. :D

6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Man! It's too bad Toshiba started to flame out right when they were introducing this line of devices. I didn't know they had a 13.3" one!

I'm using my old Tecra M4 again tonight. Last night with my Dell made me hate computers again. Win10 is still SO buggy, and having the pen fart out on me or the touch feature freeze up for no apparent reason, (something to do with Autohotkey not playing well with CSP and Wacom drivers or.... something??? I have no idea, but I might get an hour or so of smooth, reliable computer time before any problems crop up, or I might be hit with random bugs every five minutes from the moment I start it. I've not once yet had a drawing session on the thing without some sort of frustrating hangup. The technology is simply not yet reliable. It feels like Adobe in the 90's all over again.

My WinXP box is slow and old, but dammit, that Penabled system is rock solid. No freezes, no nonsense, and a totally clean line every time. -So long as I don't overtax the puny little core M processor.

I was looking at an EMR Fujitsu t904 on eBay earlier today. There was one going for around $500 used. I almost bought it, but stopped myself. 13.3" is just not enough and I know I'd never use it. (Not to mention, after currency exchange and customs, the price is a lot closer to $1000 once all is said and done.)

7. Marty

The flame that burns twice as bright...sigh, I swear the tablet gods just have it out for us artists haha.

Believe me, I know what you're feeling.

The pen on the Canvas has occasional hiccups as well. Even just one missed stroke or erratic cursor movement can spoil the whole drawing session, stopping you from really settling into that groove, eh?

I sometimes find myself going back to my trusty Win7 EP121, when I want a nice relaxing sketching session...no nonsense...just smooth and steady line work. ;)

Edit: Well, as luck would have it, I just had a pretty good 90 minute drawing session on my Canvas. :D And...I learned that the newest Wacom Feel drivers are definitely not as good as the old ones for drawing responsiveness and IAF on the EP121.

I guess we sometimes forget how carefully we've tweaked our old machines. I guess you're probably using an old set of Wacom drivers on your M4 too...yeah, don't lose those. ;) Perhaps with enough patience we'll find that magic combination of settings for our new machines too?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    neongolden and thatcomicsguy like this.
  8. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

It's kind of a shame Sony divested Vaio, as perhaps they could have helped (although my guess is much of the profit would have been siphoned off to hold up the failing parts of the company).

As for a new Canvas? Definitely after Kabylake is released. There's little point in releasing a new one so close to it's launch (even if that means almost a year until most customers can buy it).

Sent from my SCL24 using Tapatalk

9. Marty

Going to have to disagree with this. I would vastly prefer a stable, well-tested Skylake build, rather than risk months of driver and OS issues on a new architecture.

Even though the Canvas is technically two generations old, I struggle to see any real-world differences when comparing the performance and power efficiency from Haswell H to Skylake H. The big feature holding potential Canvas buyers back right now is not the processor—but USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 support—which a Skylake refresh would achieve.

The only real advantage of Kabylake would be the marketing value of having "the latest and greatest", but it would come at the cost of months of valuable market time, as the Transformer Pro 3 and Surface Pro 5 gobble up the power-user customer base in 2017.

No, I'll take an solid, stable, quad-core Skylake Canvas 2 over a delayed Kabylake refresh anyday. :)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  10. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

What you want isn't always what you get.

Kabylake will almost certainly have some (marginal) improvements. I'm going to go with in regards to power efficiency. Further, Kabylake will have support for longer.

I don't think just USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 is enough to justify running up a whole new production line for, for a rather small company.

Sent from my SCL24 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.