vaio canvas 2nd edition

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by jbaks, Aug 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

Sure, it would need to keep the same aesthetic. Bump the battery, rev the M.2, maybe have a 32GB option, and do a new processor. I just don't think we're getting that. Lord knows that fan design in the ZC is amazing. The SP one sucks. That thing could fry eggs and is loud as all get out. No thanks. Plus, the lack of ports is appalling on the SP. How is it Pro with as few ports as it has? Ugh.

2. RT545

RT545 Scribbler - Standard Member

If VAIO themselves do not want to produce a newer refreshed Z Canvas 2nd edition, then this would be great if they would license their fan design to others...

3. FenderP

No kidding. I've owned many laptops over the years. I've never encountered anything as good. For what I throw at it, it stays quiet. That says a lot. Sure, other parts of system design factor in, too, but compared to some of the complaints about what Sony (and Vaio) have done with previous machines (*cough* Pro 13 *cough*), it's downright amazing they pulled it off. Whenever I used another machine like my RZ4 I forget that most fans, even when not on all the time, aren't 100% silent.

4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I know you've said in the past that you wouldn't mind if VAIO moved to dual-core, and others have said they may even recommend it for the improved integrated graphics on KabyLake.

But in my opinion such a move would be a complete waste of VAIO's engineering skills. Acer has already made a completely fanless cooling solution for dual-cores which I think is also pretty impressive.

I think VAIOs talent should be focus on creating powerful, workstation-class devices, as they are only ones who seem to have solved the quad-core cooling puzzle.

salyavin and RT545 like this.
  5. RT545

RT545 Scribbler - Standard Member

This really is a marketing advantage they should capitalize upon...

6. FenderP

A few thoughts here.

1. I never said they should not do a quad core. But reality and economics says the hero machine isn't the way to go. Like I've said, every review compared it to the Surface Pro. Average reviewers did not understand the guts of the machine, and pretty much thought it was a clone(ish) device. The impressive innards were lost on most along with the pricing and general availability of it.

2. I think we all agree that what Vaio accomplished here - whether they do it again or not - was praise worthy. The problem is "AWESOME COOLING" doesn't sell tablets or laptops and would be dead on the vine in a general marketing slick.

While I hear what you are saying Marty, applying what they learned to a U/dual core is still a good thing. Have you used a SP3 or 4? If you have, you know it SUCKS with cooling and the fan. Pushing any kind of load on that machine is a joke. My RZ is way more impressive, and it looks like Panasonic did something similar to the Vaio in the XZ.

3. I'll go back to the business aspect: again, I hear what you are saying, but remember how many people cried out for a 'proper' Z replacement for years from Sony and didn't really get it? They do a machine like that Z or the ZC once every few years just because. It's the main reason I'm having a hard time letting go of my ZC and still seeing what develops over the next few months. I'm going to have to weigh form factor and possibly still being stuck with vs. a more traditional laptop with 32GB and no inking.

MOst people won't spend $1k, let alone $3k+ on a machine. That's reality. I don't think the ZC sold well enough to warrant a sequel/update. While I'd like to be wrong, I don't believe I am.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  7. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

We all agree Vaio needs a good marketing team to sell the bejesus out of these things. Here's my attempt:
    • CUSTOM-DESIGNED TABLET FOR PROFESSIONALS
    • COMBINE ELEGANCE AND POWER
    • GORGEOUS DISPLAY THAT CAPTURES MORE COLORS
    • VIEW DOCUMENTS IN RAZOR-SHARP ACCURACY
    • FOUR TIMES MORE POWERFUL THAN THE MARKET LEADER* *in multi-core benchmarks
    • ZERO DECIBEL FANS* - CONCENTRATE ON WORK IN PEACE AND QUIET *in most operating conditions
    • PERFECT FOR THE EXECUTIVE WHO WANTS THE ABSOLUTE BEST
    • DESIGNED FOR BUSINESS PROFESSIONALS AND ARTISTS WHO DEMAND INDUSTRY-LEADING PEN PRECISION
    • THIN AND LIGHT - EFFORTLESSLY PORTABLE
    Do you want to spend $2000 yet?

Marty likes this.
  8. Marty

Just curious, how many business professionals would you say are well acquainted with the VAIO Z name to begin with?

To me VAIO Z series always represented the pinnacle in laptop design: ridiculous raid0 ssd storage (when single ssds were already considered premium), mobile graphics gorgeous display, highest-end mobile CPU options, discrete graphics options, blu-ray writers, ports galore, professional grade screens...seriously every VAIO Z spec list read like some laptop nerd's fantasy.

And they put out slick (Apple-esque) adverts back in 2011:

In my opinion, the VAIO Z brand should have already built up a near legendary reputation (among the older crowd that can afford it anyways). And any younger tech enthusiast should recognize the premium value of the device from the specs alone. The machine really does speak for itself.

So in my opinion, the issue is not that professionals aren't willing to pay or that VAIO needs catchy new advertising slogans...it's simply that they VAIO just needs to re-establish its brand presence in the new generation (ie. Surface Pro 2-in-1 era).

Let the review sites spam all the details about performance and have the advertising establish the Z series as 'the classic' 'untouchable' aspirational device it always has been.

9. FenderP

The ZC was not on display in Yodobashi in Akihabara or at the Vaio part of the new Sony showroom in Ginza. At Sony I asked, and was told the ZC is discontinued and did not seem hopeful there would be a replacement.

I also asked about Kaby Lake updates to things like the Z and no news there either. 6th gen for the forseeable future.

salyavin and ATIVQ like this.
  10. Marty

Did the rep elaborate on the "does not seem hopeful" part at all?

It's rare for a rep to go beyond just shrugging and saying "I don't know", so I'm very curious and exactly what he had to say about future development plans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.