UWP is alive!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by JoeS, Jul 4, 2020.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

2. JoeS

So in case the significance of this is lost on people, the new UWP Prime Video app means that you'll be able to download Prime Video episodes and movies for offline viewing while on the road and in the air. Pretty great! It also means Amazon is taking Windows 10 slightly more seriously. Hurray! :cool:

(Trying to add some positivity to this gloomy forum)

:D

wytn and nnthemperor like this.
  3. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It also means Amazon is probably cursing themselves for falling for it, seeing the inevitable Microsoft shuffle-retreat away from UWP (Lucy yanking away the football again). Like the Win8/8.1 Amazon apps before it, this one will stop getting updates and eventually go away. Amazon will never, ever give MS another chance and everyone will blame Amazon for it all. :p

(Just trying to bring back some of the gloom. The brightness was hurting my eyes. :cool:)

nnthemperor, JoeS and Marty like this.
  4. JoeS

Seriously though, the Windows app store now has..

Spotify
    Netflix
    Prime Video!
    iTunes!!!

OK, out of these only Netflix and Prime are actual UWP apps, but still, those are some big names. Rejoice! :newpalm:

dellaster likes this.
  5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It turns out, probably not, because it comes gimped out of the box:

(WindowsCentral)
    "Prime Video on Windows doesn't support 4K, HDR, or Dolby 5.1 surround sound from what I can tell. When set to "Best" quality, the app states that it's playing in HD. I don't see any audio settings for surround sound like there are in other apps."

In other words, just like their old Kindle app, they made it just frustrating enough that you'll want throw down your Windows device in disgust, and use their Android TV app or Fire stick. :p

wytn, thatcomicsguy and dellaster like this.