Using tablet w/o screen flipped back

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Brian, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam T

Sam T Pen Pal - Newbie

I am thinking about buying a tablet PC for note taking and I was wondering about the capabilities for a tablet PC. I went to Best Buy hoping I could test one out but they do not have any on display.

Right now I use a PDA w/ a keyboard where I can write on the screen as well as use the keyboard. For the tablet PC, would I be able to open the screen flat on a table w/o swiveling it around in order to use both the tablet functions and keyboard function at the same time. What I want to do is to use the pen to quickly highlight words and use the keyboard to add additional notes.

I was thinking of getting the Fujitsu T4000 but I heard there may be a new Sonoma version coming out in a few months? Do you think it will be worth waiting for it?

Thanks,
    Sam T

2. arclite

arclite Pen Pal - Newbie

This is a good question. I'm looking to purchase T4000 myself.

New release of T4000 is no more than a rumor at the moment, however, they are long over due imo. I say hang tight if you are not in desperate need for the time being.

3. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I see zero reason to wait for Sonoma, in fact, we've seen a hit to battery life in the notebooks, so it could be a negative if you don't need the power.

As for the screen issue, few, if any, will open 180 degrees to lay completely flat. You'd have to be standing up or something to use it like that anyway, unless I'm visualizing this inforrectly. The tablet does not need to be in slate mode to use the pen on screen though.

4. Sam T

Sam T Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the reply. You answered my key question: "The tablet does not need to be in slate mode to use the pen on screen." For anyone interested I just joined Costco and found out they have an American Express in which you get 1% back. Also, you get an extra one year of warranty. On the Portable One website (www.laptopsinc.com), you can purchase the Fujitsu T4010 w/ a 60gb 7200 rpm hitachi drive and a three year warranty which I did not see on the Fujitsu website which would make it a 4 year warranty, but I have not yet checked into the details.

No I do not work for Costco, Amex, or Portable One; I just like to find out ways to get extra features if possible, especially cash back. If the administrators feel that this may violate anti advertising rules, feel free to erase this info, but I just want to let people know the route I may take which is the best one I have found so far (if I get approved for the new credit card).

5. Brian

One other note on Costco, they offer a 6 month return policy even on computers.

6. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

By the way, unlike a PDA, you do not have to really "push hard" on the screen of a Tablet to perform tasks like highlight words and such. Even with the machine open like a notebook, you can drag and highlight over text with ease. I often take notes while I have a Tablet in "notebook mode". Hope that helps...

7. arclite

arclite Pen Pal - Newbie

And unlimited period for everything else.

8. Sam T

Sam T Pen Pal - Newbie

"By the way, unlike a PDA, you do not have to really "push hard" on the screen of a Tablet to perform tasks like highlight words and such. Even with the machine open like a notebook, you can drag and highlight over text with ease. I often take notes while I have a Tablet in "notebook mode". Hope that helps..."

Thanks for the info. This is exactly what I wanted to hear. The tablet PC sounds like the most ideal note taking machine. I am surprised it is not more popular and widespread so that prices would drop.

I just got the Amex from Costco but they told me it does not offer the 1 year extended warranty which the other Amex cards do so I am bummed out. Unfortunately Costco does not seem to carry Fujitsu computers.

Thanks for all the advice. This is a great website.

9. Brian

Ahh, but prices have dropped. It used to be you couldn't find one for less than $2,000. Now there are several, very good options, at under $1600.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.