Using Tablet PC as Input Device for Desktop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jedimaster, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Jedimaster

Jedimaster Pen Pal - Newbie

I was wondering whether it is possible to use a tablet PC as an input device similar to the WACOM cintiq onto another desktop computer. Has anybody done this before?

2. Grimnir

Grimnir Think tank & Designer Senior Member

This is a good question...but no ones answered it yet? booo.

3. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Remote Desktop Connection? LOL

4. Odin1985

Odin1985 Pen Pal - Newbie

is trully a good, one, i mean a cintiq can go from 999 to over 2000, altho i dont know if you an set up the tablet part as a input device, could probably unless you do like it was said remote desktop connection

5. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

The question is: how does one connect the said Tablet PC to a desktop? A USB cable?

Unless if someone develops a software application, driver, or utility to recognize a Tablet PC to a desktop like a Wacom external tablet (or tablet display) does when attached to a laptop or desktop.

Other than that, the only is feasible would be RDC, as mentioned, or other remote desktop utilities like VNC.

6. pibach

pibach Scribbler - Standard Member

I think MaxiVista has a good data compression and is fast enough to drive a high res screen over WLAN.

7. ZZZ

ZZZ T901, T3010 owner

I actually created a small ultility which can be used on a tablet to control the mouse on a second pc over a network connection. It is still quite basic though, but I you're interested, I can tweak it a bit to be less techy and more user friendly :)

It just looks like a empty (resizable) window where you can tap on (just like a 'real' wacom tablet). There are also some buttons for keystrokes like 'enter' and 'escape' (more can added in code), simliar to the buttons on a tablet (PC). I implemented both 'relative' and absolute mouse movements, though the latter only partially as I didn't like to use it.

Alternatives like maxvista and maybe synergy could also be used, but as these act like a second monitor, you can't really use your pen (except in mirror mode I suppose). Remote desktop, VNC and the like are better candidates, but you probably come across resolution things (ie.: scrolling) and you'll need more bandwith of course.

8. jerxc

jerxc Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd say I've spent a good 8 or so hours crawling the web over the years looking for just this type of project. ZZZ, would you be willing to share your executable (maybe even your source?) for the tablet pc as an input device. I'd be very interested in getting this running on my (old and slow) tablet so I could use it as a defacto Wacom tablet.

Thanks in advance

9. ZZZ

ZZZ T901, T3010 owner

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nice! Thanks for the up - I'll try it out, when I finally get a desktop (LOL)