Using after storage in hot car?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kureshii, Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JR7

JR7 Pen Pal - Newbie

Here's a different kind of heat question...

Is it ok to store a pc in a hot car for a few hours, and then turn it on and use it without letting it cool first? If not, what problems does it cause? Is there any way (different case, maybe?) to protect it from the heat of the car, at least partially?

Thanks for any input,

JR

2. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Storage in a hot car would be bad for your battery, but as long as the computer is not in direct sunlight and not turned on I don't think any of the other components would be damaged.

3. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

No, you need to let it cool first. The cpu has a maximum operating temperature range, and the temperature in a hot car easily exceeds it.

4. number2jcb

number2jcb Pen Pal - Newbie

That said, if the laptop is too hot it will not boot. Don't freak out if it doesn't just let it cool. If you keep your laptop vents clear (clean out the dust with compressed air regularly) you can boot the laptop up and cooling will kick into high gear and bring the temps down fast for the CPU and chips. HD and battery will not cool as fast. If you really don't need to use it, let it cool for HD's sake, but in a pinch, it will most likely boot. Especially if it wasn't in direct sunlight.

5. kapblp

kapblp Scribbler - Standard Member

How long would you say let it cool. I've done this, left it in the car for a few hours, and within about 15 minutes it doesn't even feel hot to the touch. By then it's room temp.

6. number2jcb

number2jcb Pen Pal - Newbie

Feel the battery and/or the area that the HD is located. If it feels warmer than usual to you then give it some more time.

7. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Run your laptop on AC. Feel the hottest part of your laptop. There, that's how much you should let it cool before using it. As long as temps are within specced operating range it should be fine.

That said, I agree with TabbedOut. That kind of storage temp is definitely bad for your battery. If you absolutely have to store your laptop in your car, keep it out of sunlight, and use sunshades on the windscreens/windows. Your laptop will thank you.

8. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

if I HAVE to leave it in my car for a short period, I stick it in the trunk.

9. JR7

JR7 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for all the responses!

I have to admit I'm still wavering between what's best for my tablet and what's most fun for me. I want to play with my tablet at lunchtime, but I'm not allowed to bring a personal computer into work. So it would have to wait for me in my car. I can plug it in to my car, though, so it thinks it is on AC. Would that be better than running on battery?

JR

10. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Mmm, I'm not so sure... if you're going to play with it during lunchtime in a hot car I'd be careful of it overheating; all machines tend to run hotter on AC than on batteries. It also won't be very comfortable using it on your lap. If you had an icebox (without ice inside) or some other form of temperature regulation it could help a little.