using abbreviations in onenote?

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by leaftye, Sep 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarguy

sarguy I never finish anth

I'm getting close to actually being able to purchase a tablet pc. I realized today during chemistry class that I use a lot of "health care based" abbreviations/symbols when I write my notes.

Can OneNote be programmed to either--
    a: recognize the abbreviation/symbol and translate that into the full written word when I convert to text (kinda macro-ish) or

b: recognize the abbreviation/symbol and convert it to the same abbreviation in text?

For instance, I use the following quite a bit:

delta sign for "change"
    c with bar above for "with"
    s with bar above for "without"
    a " " " " "before"
    ...you get the idea.

Any info is certainly appreciated!

2. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

Before I got my TPC I thought I would need and want to convert my notes to text. However, I have since learned that I prefer to keep the text as written. It is still searchable an there are no mistakes then in the conversion.

As for the medical symbols, it converted them sometimes to what it thinks they are, such as delta to an "A". The before it took the """" as slashes. It will not convert a "without" symbol for instance into the actual meaning.

3. sarguy

sarguy I never finish anth

Thanks much. Good to know!

4. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Same here. I've found that the handwritten format does a MUCH better job of triggering my memory, which is really the point of taking notes in the first place.