Using a Windows device as a phone.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by HJK, Sep 21, 2017.

1. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

Does anyone know if there is any way to make calls from a 4G LTE Windows 10 device (I mean full Windows 10--*not* Windows 10 mobile and not a Windows phone)? I mean legit. non-data calls from a carrier, not calls using Skype or WhatsApp or whatever.

For context, I can't use my work wifi on a personal device, so I'm thinking about getting a LTE device and popping my phone's SIM card into it while I'm at work. I'd be willing to give up my cell phone for 8 hours a day, as I can still text, use FB Messenger, etc. And there are some good Android options (Galaxy Note line). But if I can rig up a way to use a Windows tablet as a phone, I'd be pretty darn happy with that.
    Thanks for any info!

I've been using my phone as a hotspot to keep my Windows tablet online, but that's a very sub-par option in my context for many reasons.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

As long as the SIM card is supporting voice calls you shouldn't have any problems using the old Windows Phone software. But I bet you'd have problems with it even in compatibility mode, hence if do a search in Windows Store for a phone app.

HJK likes this.
  3. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

At least in the US most carriers block voice services on Tablets and Laptops (iOS and Android included), the block at the device string level...

I have Skype for Business with an actual telephone number - but it is still a VOIP provider using data, but I take about 90% of my calls with my Surface Pro.

HJK likes this.
  4. HJK

To be honest with you, there's a lot I'm not understanding here. What is the "old Windows Phone software"? And what is "compatibility mode"? I don't see anything in the Windows store that would seem to help.
    Thanks!

5. HJK

So, do you mean to say that the block will be recognized by the carrier even if you pop in your phone's sim card?
    The Galaxy Note LTE tablets have phone capabilities (8.0, 10.1, and Pro), and I've called Verizon to verify, and they've said I could use one to take calls. So I may go that route at some point. But I'd prefer to use a full Windows device.

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Windows used to come with an accessory called Phone. I believe it came with Windows as long as it was a 32 bit OS. Then it became Scan & Fax. Hence, if you can find Phone it would need to run under compatibility mode in a new device.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

HJK likes this.
  7. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

That is my understanding - there have been fringe devices that combined an Android Cell Phone with a Windows Tablet to circumvent this but that never really caught on.

HJK likes this.
  8. HJK

I've seen some dual boot Chinese tablets with 3G and phone capabilities, but none with pen input. If Cube would outfit the iWork 11 Stylus with 4G LTE, phone capability, and 128 GB emmc, I'd be interested in that for sure.