Using a tablet for GPS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by afinemetsfan, Dec 10, 2005.

1. afinemetsfan

afinemetsfan Pen Pal - Newbie

I am looking for a tablet that would work well within a car setting as a GPS driving computer. Does anyone have experience with nonpermanent tablet mounting?

Some considerations, - there may be more for in car use if you can think of them.

I still want to use the tablet to take notes in class.
    and it must work well in sunlight.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

well if you don't want a convertible get a motion computing. but beware! they cost two arms and four-fifths of a leg. If a convedrtible is what you desire then get a toshiba. r15 is best because toshiba is having troubles with the supply of the extra video memory that the m4 is known for.

3. kingjimmi

kingjimmi Pen Pal - Newbie

Fujitsu 1500 series. Has a palm pda-like touchscreen. So you can mount it in your car and use your finger for the interface instead of being forced to use a pen for input. I'm gonna assume this would be the safest way to use a computer in a car.

On the downside though is the miniature screen, but wow, I do love the form factor for a ultraportable that would never leave your side. I'd consider buying a murse(man-purse) just to keep this thing with me wherever I went. Only thing is it's pretty expensive for what you get.

I haven't pulled the trigger on this one yet, but it's pretty much the only tablet pc I'd consider at this point( I already have all the other tech toys, this one though would be the ultimate for me, at least for a month or so). I'm waiting for the "new" form factor tablet pc that Microsoft is talking about though, before I do make a purchase.

4. afinemetsfan

afinemetsfan Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for pointing that out, I was assuming any tablet would work as a touchscreen. Are there any others that have similar capabilites?

5. kingjimmi

I think there is a discontinued Acer model and a barebones style tablet pc. Think the barebones one is made by Asus or MSI??? Forget really, I'll edit this later if I remember which one.

6. Daring

Daring Moderator

Most tablets do not have touch sensitive screens. They have a pen that you must use to activate things on the screen. This has positives and negatives. As kingjimmi pointed out the ability to use the tablet while driving without the use of the pen would be fantastic. However, when using the tablet in a writing mode I am not certain it would work so well. Most people lay their hand on a piece of paper and move their hand/fingers as they write. This same metaphor is duplicated using a standard tablet pc. However on the 1500 series I assume that you would have to keep your hand elevated off of the screen surface while you are writing or the side of your hand would interfere with your writing. This is just a theory on my part since I have never used a 1500, however since a PDA also has a touch sensitive screen I can only assume it would react similar to the PDA I now use. On a PDA your hand generally must float since the screen isn't large enough to rest on, but then I generally don't write pages of notes on my PDA.

7. kingjimmi

From all the reports I've read Daring, your hand on the screen will not effect your writing at all. I believe you need a certain amount of localized pressure in order to get the input to work, so the pad of your hand doesn't affect usability.

This was a huge worry for potential 1500 buyers, but it seems all the annecdotal accounts of 1500 use show that the worry is unfounded. Do a search on the Fujitsu for reviews and you'll see that most address this very concern.

8. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. kingjimmi

Problem w/ the Fujitsu Brian mentions though is it's inability to convert to slate form. This would make mounting it in a car for GPS use cumbersome at best. But wow o wow. If they made that size screen in a convertible model w/ the passive screen . . . I'd buy it. I'm not an artist. I don't need the pressure sensitivity. Like afine I'd love a tablet for GPS use and ebook reading(not sure if afine wants it for that too, but I do). Therefore, I kinda like the passive screen.

I think I read somewhere that someone was making a hybrid system that used both the touchscree and pen interface. I know, I know. Could I be more vague about the product in question? I'm sorry though, I don't remember where I read it or which company they were referring to. I just know that I did read it. That would be the ideal product to me. The best of both worlds.

10. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

We will keep an eye out for this "mystery product". If you think of it first, please post the info.

Barry