Using a QuickDock with my tx2500

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Juan Fernando, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clibertynh

clibertynh Pen Pal - Newbie

I purchased a tx2500 this past summer and, after returning the flaky first one, the second one seemed to "settle down and settle in" over the next few months.

Then I decided to start using the tx2500 as my home office machine. To make this a little easier, I purchased a Microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse combo and a Dell 19" monitor (hey, it was on sale...). I also purchased a QuickDock from HP to make the connection easier.

It was then that the troubles started, and, after weeks of crashes, blue screens and odd system behavior, I have basically come to the conclusion that the tx2500 and Quickdock are like oil and water.

The wireless mouse/keyboard, when connected to a QuickDock USB port, will reliably freeze up within 5-10 minutes of operation, yet works flawlessly when connected directly to a tx2500 USB slot. (BTW, my limited experience is that any peripheral connected to a QuickDock USB port is a candidate to crash my machine.)

The monitor causes a multitude of problems. First, I get BSOD's when I boot the tx2500 with the QuickDock connected. These happen at random intervals of run time. Sometimes I can make it through an hour or so, sometimes it's 20-30 minutes. Additionally, if I try to sleep the tx2500, the system fails to enter sleep mode, eventually crashes and then reboots. These problems are curiously solved if I connect the QuickDock after booting and disconnect it before sleeping the tx2500.

My question is: Has anyone else experienced this kind of behavior with the QuickDock? If so are there any workarounds/fixes or should I retire the QuickDock to my ever-growing pile of HP technology stuff that doesn't work as advertised.

2. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Have you contacted HP about your problems? Since the tx2500 is a budget tabletpc, I don't see many users spending more to buy the dock, so I think you should take advantage of your warranty and contact HP for help. I've checked the HP website, and I don't see any driver updates.

3. gordoncahill

gordoncahill Scribbler - Standard Member

I have used both the TX1000 and TX2000 series with my quick dock for over a year now. Sometimes I connect/unconnect 10 times per day. I have never had issues with any peripheral connected to the dock. This is with both factory and Vanilla Vista installs.

Currently I have a 24" Dell monitor, Logitech DiNovo Keyboard, Logitech Evolution Mouse, Vodafone 3G modem, 2x external HDD's and a network Laser Printer hooked up to it.

I think you have either a defective machine or a defective dock.

Gordon

4. kgoldston

kgoldston Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the TX2510 and have the same issue, sent my computer back to HP... the said they replaced my motherboard... but did the same when connected to DOCK.

I hve both the quick dock and the xb3000 neather works more then 5 min at a time.

5. RonaldReagan

RonaldReagan Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a tx2500z and a quick dock, besides for crappy picture quality through component out, they work fine together.

6. arcencio

arcencio Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi!
    I have the TX2650 (Portugal) and the xb3000... it doesn't work at all, and keeps on crashing. My former TX2050 worked just fine... so there must be an issue with the xb3000 hardware and the new TX boards.
    Lets hope HP sorts it out.
    And yes, I love the tx2650.

7. Jor-dan

Jor-dan Tablet-Loving Student

just curious, are you all using the same model of quickdock? I guess there's 2 models of HP quickdock when you look it up on Amazon. Are you using the older one or the latest model?

8. Joanda

Joanda Pen Pal - Newbie

I have also the same problem with the mouse and keybord. Could you fix it in the meantime. I contacted hp and i am waiting since 4 weeks for an answer.
    regards

9. clibertynh

clibertynh Pen Pal - Newbie

Nope. Never got it fixed. I connect the keyboard/mouse USB cable directly to the tx2500. Works fine that way.

In fact, the QuickDock is so bad, I have taken it off my system and am in the process of returning it to HP. I bought it to hook up an external monitor, wireless keyboard/mouse and a external backup drive to my tx2500. It bombed my system in each case!

I agree with other posters that HP really needs to get its act together.

I have a Photosmart printer connected wirelessly to my tx2500 that is also giving me major headaches. I have reloaded the printer software (which is a long, multi-restart process) four times in the past month.

10. Thokas

Thokas Too many laptops...

I too have the QuickDock and haven't had an issue. I would suspect software issues of some sort. Only thing could be your system board could having issues handling the dock port. I would recommend driver updates and BIOS update. Or a factory restore if you could. If it continues after a factory restore there is a hardware issue with the laptop or dock.