USI is on the death's door and the killer is Microsoft with Wacom as accessory to murder

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shogmaster, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Universal Stylus Initiative maybe never had a real chance. Intel isn't exactly what comes to mind when you think active pen/stylus. So when I found out that Intel started USI with bunch of second stringer pen ODMs, I was fairly apathetic. But the need for consolidation and simplification of pen standards was obvious, so I followed USI somewhat grudgingly.

It had couple years of mediocre efforts at CES, then it simply was gone. No one gave a ****. Not one PC or tablet ODM was talking about USI when I asked them at CES. I don't know if the blame lies with the USI's leadership (or lack there of) or strength of Microsoft's influence, but IMO, USI is pretty much done. Microsoft's Pen Protocol is almost guaranteed to be the standard for pen now, in the PC 2in1 space. Wacom's AES is barely hanging on for relevance mainly due to Lenovo's support, but looking at all the MPP touch panel devices at Best Buy atm (Dell Inspirons, HP Envy and Spectres, MS Surfaces, Asus 2in1s, etc..), with Wacom's white flag in the form of Bamboo Ink dual protocol pen, MPP is the new pen standard for PCs.

And I'm perfectly fine with that. MS is Windows. Who else is better to set the standard for pen within that space anyways? I sure has hell don't want Wacom doing it. Let them make their money by selling pens for MPP devices. Pens are their strength anyways, not software and certainly not long term planning. I still get to enjoy the best pens from Wacom with MPP so it's all good IMO.

2. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Sounds right. Now that MPP has tilt, and that solving the slow inking wobble is a matter of denser digitizers, and the response time is closer to the Apple Pencil's, there's no reason for a third player.

Shogmaster likes this.
  3. Shogmaster

More importantly for me, MPP is now designed to be so damn cheap that a Chinese PC ODM can sell a MPP 10" tablet for $100 in the US! lol

I want pretty much every 2 in 1 to have a pen panel. MPP just might make that happen.

4. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, touch and pen input being ubiquitous will also put Apple in a really awkward position (for which I will try to suppress my schadenfreude).

Shogmaster likes this.
  5. Shogmaster

BTW, the curiosity is killing me. I think I might TOFFT on that $100 MPP Chinese tablet.

What do you guy think? Blue, pink or silver?

6. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Definitely pink. But beware, most of the user reviews are brutal.

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. Shogmaster

That's why Jesus made 30 day in store return policy. ;)

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

2GB Ram? Forget it. Even if it's free.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

9. Shogmaster

Yer making my Vivotab Note 8 sad

10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Do it for the science!

Shogmaster likes this.