Users Voice Their Opinions About the Fujitsu LifeBook T5010

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by georvox, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiffany Boggs

Tiffany Boggs Editor/Site Admin Senior Member

The topic of today's "User Opinions" article is the Fujitsu LifeBook T5010 Tablet PC. TheT5010 has moved right up the list on our [I=itxtvisited="1"]Most Popular Tablet PCs[/I] list since its release a few months back. Fujitsu hit the nail on the head this year with the T5010 because users seem to enjoy it and its 2.26GHz Core 2 Duo processor and active digitizer.

[​IMG]

Some users have commented onthepros and cons of the T5010, which we would like to share with you. The opinions are chosen based on the value of the information (in our opinion) to our readers. We don't necessarily pick only the "positive" opinions or only the "negative" opinions. We pick the opinions that we believe will be most helpful to you as you shop for and compare Tablet PCs.

[​IMG]

The LifeBook T5010 features a 13.3" WXGA widescreen display with active digitizer, built-in modular bay, integrated wireless access and Intel Centrino 2 Processor Technology. This business focused tablet is great for taking notes and giving presentations. Even for college students this lightweight, solid LifeBook is a hit.

[​IMG]Average Product

Rating: 9/10

Pros: The computer is fast and has a sleek in design. Unlike the other postings I've not had any problems watching movies or listening to music.

Cons: I did have to return the battery. It wasn't holding a charge and would discharge or something from time to time. I contacted Fujitsu and they sent another one that i received in 2 days! Since then no problems at all.

[​IMG]Not of Satisfactory Quality

Rating: 1/10

Pros: Looks nice, but had many problems

Cons: Stutters and jitters making the tablet unusable.

[​IMG]Stuttering sound and video, possible motherboard/chipset failure

Rating: 8/10

Pros: Great speed and performance. Fun tablet to play with. Solid design and powerful.

Cons: Just like everyone else the sound skips and stutters when listening to music or videos. Called support and they said that it was probably a faulty chip set that was causing the problem so i need to get an entirely new motherboard. Good news for VT students however is that there is a location close by and a bus goes there. This will be the last time i every get a computer right off the production line before all the bugs are worked out.

[​IMG]Stuttering Problem

Pros: A powerful tablet PC. Performance is great and its well built, but had some issues.

Cons: Stuttering problem. Its very annoying especially when playing games or watching movies.

[​IMG]Possible Design Flaw

Rating: 7/10

Pros: As far as tablets go, it does everything you need it to do. It has a powerful processor and the program suite it comes with is definitely useful. Two scroll sensors, accurate writing functionality, fingerprint scanner, a very solid physical design that is easy to use.

Cons: A problem that has plagued about half the people I have talked to is also a problem of mine. Every few minutes, more often if watching a movie, listening to music or playing any real time game, it jitters and lags. As if crashing, the computer stutters 3-4 times before resuming. No data is lost, but it is impossible to listen to music. Since beginning this review, this has already happened 3 times. This is most likely an overheating problem. It has been noticeable since the first week of usage so my own usage is not likely to be the cause. When the computer feels hotter, the stutters are more often. Additionally, propping the computer up above the desk decreases the rate of stutters (more airflow). I also downloaded a diagnostic tool (speedfan) which gives me second by second temperature readouts. When stutters occur the temperature has spiked, there is undoubtedly a correlation here. I purchased this computer through Virginia Tech, many other engineering students are having the exact same problem. It came with a comprehensive warranty and accident coverage so I will try and get it repaired, replaced, or refunded if nothing can be done because this is not a cheap piece of hardware and I expect it to run flawlessly out of the box.

Related Articles

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. jq1024

jq1024 Pen Pal - Newbie

When I shop on-line I too look for a balance of opinions. However, if I read your reviewers opinions I might give another product a second look.
    I feel compelled to let you know that my T5010 is absolutely sweet. I have had it for a couple of weeks and it has been flawless. No "stuttering", no problems with heat, the keyboard is one of the best I have used and the inking experience is fabulous! The screen (before covering it with the included screen protector) is brilliant. So I would give the unit 9/10 - deducting one point not for any performance shortcoming, but for the lack of documentation regarding the screen protector on my indoor/outdoor display. I have contacted Fujitsu in the hope of obtaining definitive information.

3. Tiffany Boggs

Tiffany Boggs Editor/Site Admin Senior Member

Thank you, all opinions are welcome and these are some of our users. I believe Fujitsu has fixed the problem with the stuttering with video and sound.

4. AmbiDextrose

AmbiDextrose Scribbler - Standard Member

I was able to demo the Fujitsu T5010 from Allegiance Technology Partners and I'm sold. I, too, did not experience any stuttering ot heat issues and I had the unit in "high performance" setting the entire time. Aside from using it at work, I also dabble in 2D and 3D art so I was able to test applications like ArtRage, OpenCanvas, PainTool SAI, Painter X, Photoshop CS3, Silo 2, Softimage XSI 7, and MoI3D. In each case, the T5010 handled the application without any major issues. I was able to work with models approaching 1.8M polygons before interactivity was affected.

I'd give it a solid 9/10, deducting 1 point for the Intel integrated graphics which made the machine feel 'laggy' when i used larger brushes in any of the aforementioned paint tools. However, if Fujitsu decides to offer the "Fujitsu4Life" program in North America, I'll probably buy one right away.

5. CommSoft

CommSoft Slate Pilot

Very curious about this myself (the 4Life program) - anyone hear anything about this being offered outside the UK?

6. aetneerg

aetneerg Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I like my T5010 so far. I just need more memory and an extra modular battery. I bought the lowest model with the P8400, 1GB of memory, and 80GB hard drive disk for $1550. I suggest getting more memory and uninstalling all the trial software. Norton Security Systems is okay but I think it just slows down the T5010 with only 1GB memory. There is also a lot of Google junkware that I will probably never use like Googledesktop and Picasa. I will eventually upgrade my 80GB HDD, 80GB is sufficient for most but not for me. I need to install a lot of programs that take up HDD space i.e. Visual Studio, Photoshop, Office 2007, and many other office applications. I am currently using Vista Business but I will probably swap to Windows 7 when it comes out. I really wish Fujitsu will offer Fujitsu4Life program with their tablets.

But if anyone hears about overheating problem there was something like 250
    T5010's that didn't have their heatshields installed. So those people maybe experiencing overheating problems. So far I like the fact that I can have a powerful CPU, a nice screen, and modular battery support if I need extra battery life. I used to own an IBM X41T, the processor was just too slow for me and even for office work.

7. AmbiDextrose

AmbiDextrose Scribbler - Standard Member

At some point, I hope Fujitsu integrates the following into their TabletPCs:

1. Capacitive multi-touch - which can address the need for more external buttons on the bezel/external keyboard while in slate mode for applications like PS, Painter, Maya, Softimage, et.al. by interacting directly with the on-screen buttons. Forthermore, if coupled with a configurable on-screen keyboard, the multi-touch functionality can make chordable combinations a possibility. Not that WACOM supports capacitive multi-tuouch with the same hardware used in their EM-pen technology, a hybrid EM-pen/multi-touch solution may be possible with the next iteration of Fujitsu's TabletPCs.

2. More powerful IGP like the NVidia 9400M to give graphics-intensive applications a lot more breathing room in terms of performance.

3. Better digitizer sensitivity like the ones used in Axiotron's ModBook which supports 512 levels of pressure. Although not as desirable as #1 and #2, it would still represent a boost for people who are used to the sensitivity of an Intuos tablet when working on a TabletPC. WACOM's Intuos3 tablets have 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity and I've 'felt' the difference between using the Intuos3 and the T5010's digitizer. Again, this is just a 'nice-to-have' when compared to #1 and #2.

With Fujitsu's "Fujitsu4Life" program, I'm sure that at some point, Fujitsu's tablets will incorporate all of the points I've mentioned above. Currently, the title of "most powerful TabletPC" probably belongs to the new Axiotron ModBook 2009 (with a more sensitive tablet, an NVidia 9400 IGP, and the new Intel Dual Core CPUs) but the "Fujitsu4Life" program actually represents a more evolutionary option for Fujitsu users which means that they can get better, more powerful units in the future while paying a lot less.

8. Weightlifter

Weightlifter Pen Pal - Newbie

To All with the Stutter problem, this is NOT the hardware. This is a fix with the Wi-Fi driver update. Somehow the Atheros Wireless driver interferes with audio/video causing the skip... Fujitsu has an updated Atheros Wireless driver on thier website. Download it and your problems go away!:D

9. georvox

georvox Pen Pal - Newbie

I cannot find any updates on their website.Here is the link
    http://support.fujitsupc.com/CS/Portal/supportsearch.do#
    Where did you find it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.