User reviews Galaxy Book2 Windows on Arm

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by mgerbasio, Dec 4, 2018.

1. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wow x2

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Wow x3.. Bricked as in "return to the manufacturer", or as in "reinstall OS from scratch"?

3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Bricked as in recovery from USB. And I know why now which relates back to something that's been discussed before here. The issue is bitlocker. Apparently that's the reason that the GB2 ships with it off by default. Apparently the way bit locker encryption works on ARM is quite different and the update in it's present form cant read the drive after it restarts because it cant access the keys.

They should fix this prior to general availability, but the guidance is to turn bitlocker off first prior to the upgrade.

JoeS likes this.
  4. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

ok whew! so the devices aren't damaged then..

5. JoeS

Turns out the Edge Insider Preview (aka Edge on Chromium) doesn't install on the Book2. The installer says the Book2 doesn't meet the minimum requirements.

6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There is an ARM native Chromium based Edge coming in early Q3. Priority for MS for obvious reasons right now is Intel

JoeS likes this.
  7. JoeS

Thanks for the intel on ARM. :) Too bad, bookmark sync on Edge is broken for me, so I was hoping Edge-on-Chromium would fix that. I guess I'll have to wait another few months.

8. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

I haven't run into any problems with web sites using Edge vs Chrome, I'm fine with Edge as is on the Book2 but I don't use bookmark sync. As for the May creators update, considering how look it took to get the October '18 update, I'm not expecting to see it at launch. The last couple of days there were a few web site talking about MS Surface with ARM, once that happens I think we'll see more attention to this platform.

All said, the Book2 has been a big success for me and I don't see me using a MS Surface ARM over the Book3; I'm still running Windows 10S. Not having Adobe Acrobat and MS Project are pretty much the only programs I'd like to be running on it. However, Adobe's pricing on Acrobat Pro has me looking elsewhere when I'm ready to upgrade anyway.

WillAdams likes this.
  9. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

Is there any chance you can talk to @NorthFaceHiker on Twitter about that? It was a known issue for one Build and it did brick also the NovaGo, but the issue should be fixed by now.

I have my Galaxy Book (Dual Boot) on 1809 and 20H1 Skip ahead and did not have any issues that.

10. JoeS

Two nice things of Edge-on-Chromium for me are the ability to support custom searches (for example I defined "gi" to do a google image search and "m" to do a google maps search), and the nice scroll-bar highlights when you do a search for text on a page. The Chromified Edge coopted that feature. It's exactly those kinds of niceties that were lacking from Edge, so I'm actually quite happy with the changes. Strategically I'm not sure if it's the right move for MS or the wider internet, but as a user I'm all for it. I hope they bring it to ARM soon.