User reviews Galaxy Book2 Windows on Arm

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by mgerbasio, Dec 4, 2018.

1. djas

djas Graffiti User

Really upset I didn't get the Book2 as scheduled. :(

2. kltye

kltye Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your responses, folks - glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this. I've always had the "doesn't wake immediately" issue, which was annoying, but not terrible. I tried to do a reset on my machine - just in case it was a software thing, and also because I know the MSFT Store people will have me do one. The reset went very poorly - it hosed itself and went into a boot loop with an error saying that the computer "restarted unexpectedly" and had me try setup again.

Turned it on this morning, and somehow the internal screen came back to life. Long story short, I managed to get a hold of the Windows on ARM installer files and reinstalled Windows. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any in-box drivers for the Snapdragon SoC - not even for the USB controller. So, no network, no USB, nothing. Going to have to figure out how to at least get the USB controller driver installed. Sigh.

All that, and I'm not even sure if the screen will turn on consistently.

3. kltye

kltye Pen Pal - Newbie

So it turns out the easiest way to restore the factory image is to boot into Windows Setup, and do a dism /Apply-Image. There's a recovery partition that contains an install.wim - just point dism to it and call it a day.

The screen issue hasn't recurred since the reinstall, but there has been slight hesitancy turning on the display with the accompanying "flash" this morning. (It wasn't there yesterday evening after the install) I'm starting to wonder if it happens more frequently when the temperature is cold.

FWIW, I was running Windows 10 1809 up until I reinstalled; I'm staying on the factory 1803 for the time being.

PS: The install.wim image also contains a hidden recovery folder; inside of that contains a post-setup deployment package, which can be read by 7-zip. It contains all the drivers and utilities, in case someone needs them in the future.

JoeS and Marty like this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Excellent job @kltye, but I sit here shaking my head that users have to be knowledgeable enough to get down to a dism command. Is that where we really are in 2019, staring down the barrel of a Unix-like command line shotgun?

5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I will walk right into your trap: Yes, @dstrauss we really are, in 2019, staring down the barrel of a Unix...." - Unless we own Apple hardware! :D:D:D

dstrauss likes this.
  6. kltye

kltye Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, the "push button reset" (effectively the "Reset my PC" option in Settings) should have worked. To be fair, I do tinker with my systems a fair amount, although this one was only involved in the Windows Insider Release Preview ring, and I had switched it out of S-mode. Everything else was pretty standard. To add to the problem, the display was non-functional for the reset, and I might have forced it to turn off by holding down the power button halfway through the reset, which could explain why it blew up to begin with.

None of this explains the display issue, though. It's days like this I wish I bought an iPad Pro, and this is coming from me - someone who absolutely, entirely, and completely detests Apple and their products.

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

:):cool:

8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A few things. First Windows on ARM is MUCH more closely tied to the hardware than intel and some of the OS components act like firmware and drivers than what people are used to on Intel.

Second, Samsung has strongly cautioned us against using anything but the standard release channel for windows updates and in fact suggested that we use the slow option. (which may be only available via pro). Samsung basically told us that much of this is essentially brand new hardware for windows and coupled with the enormous legacy codebase we should expect issues to occur, thus the recommendation of the slow channel so that issues are found and fixed before they make their way to mission critical systems.

Lastly, the recommended way from Samsung to re-install the oS is to use the windows reset feature if needed and not to use the typical ISO method you can use on Intel systems.

May be too late in this case, but that's what Samsung has been telling us. Lenovo, who is the only other company in the market with this generation of ARM on windows has given us similar caution.

dstrauss, WillAdams, djas and 2 others like this.
  9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just as a follow up to the above, the May Creators update is now available in the preview channel. Two of my guys loaded it on the two GB2s we have in the support lab and it bricked both of them.

At first, they thought is was possibly something else on the devices or just a fluke, but when they contacted Samsung, the response was "yeah you shouldn't do that …"

JoeS likes this.
  10. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

wow