User reviews Galaxy Book2 Windows on Arm

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by mgerbasio, Dec 4, 2018.

1. djas

djas Graffiti User

I'm planning to use my old trusty EMR Surface Pen on the Book2.

Sigh. It's Chinese New Year and I'm on an enforced one-week break so gotta wait for the provision by Group IT.

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

….meaning it's almost time for your first impressions right?

3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

:D;)

4. djas

djas Graffiti User

Yes! Hopefully tomorrow Group IT has it ready when I get back to work. What a great 2019 so far. New office, new PC. :)

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  5. djas

djas Graffiti User

arg! It has not even arrived in-house, IT informed me. ETA unknown.

JoeS likes this.
  6. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

Today I received the Windows 10 v1809 update. After that was applied it updated Adobe Flash and Samsung drivers. The PC feels faster, I noticed the Windows Store seems to be faster downloading and installing updates as well as Edge being faster.

My one problem where the sd card driver failed with a SanDisk Extreme Pro is now fixed.

Bronsky, Tourniquet and WillAdams like this.
  7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm working on a project for work that requires the GB2 and because of my belief in the "eat your own dogfood" rule, I have been using the GB2 as my primary machine since last Thursday.

My initial impressions haven't changed much and the things that I loved and the things that I liked not so much remain.

The size is almost perfect for a general productivity device. eg. it's slightly too small for productivity tasks such as office and it's a little on the large side for tablet tasks like reading ebooks.

So in the one device category, a bit too big for some tasks and a bit too small for others seems like a good compromise.

The display is simply outstanding. Going back and forth as I was moving stuff from my go the GB2 really showed me that while the display is very good on the go, the OLED on the GB2 is simply in another category.

Now that I'm using the s-pen quite a bit, I can see why many like it so much. It's subtle , but it's just a bit more controlled and precise than the Microsoft pen. I also just like the hand feel a bit better.

LTE is also outstanding and seems to be the best I've used for things like speed and connecting in marginal areas. Of course keep in mind that I'm on At&t so it may be different with other carriers.

Battery life is the other area where it just blows the Go out of the water. Monday, I used the GB2 on battery extensively all day long (about 9.5 hours) including LTE. At the end of the day, I still had about 30% battery left. On my go on a similar day, the battery gave out in the early afternoon.

Last but not least, overall performance is still all over the place. Office itself runs great as does slack and google docs. Adobe apps are just.....terrible across the board and acrobat is almost unusable.

And weirdly, iTunes, though it takes a really long time to load, runs pretty smoothly once it does.

So that's my $.02. TLDR as a single device especially if you are on the go it's a terrific machine. They still need to work on the ARM/intel emulation and/or more native apps would help.

WillAdams and JoeS like this.
  8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I do like the display, and gloomy Netflix series look amazing on it, but I'm not a huge fan of the color shift upon tilting the screen, especially when annotating mostly white PDFs. I can live with it, but for bright screen activities I'd actually prefer IPS over the Book2's OLED.

The one thing that really bothers me on this model is that keyboard bug, the fact that the keys always remain active no matter the keyboard orientation. I end up taking off the keyboard all the time just to work around that.

Performance wise I'm pretty happy. And although the design is ridiculous, I'm actually happy that the pen came with a sleeve/cap: I never worry about the tip damaging in my bag. I also really like how quickly it wakes from sleep every single time. Overall a very good device.

desertlap likes this.
  9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member

Agreed on the keyboard issue. I have submitted a request to address it in some way. possibly a hot key combo that turns the keyboard on or off. Don't know if they will take my advice.

As to the display, I should have clarified that out of the box, the Samsung's color is a bit to "vivid". Because I use all my devices to edit photos though, a standard part of my setup is calibrating the display. And after doing that, the bluish whites issue mostly went away for me.

Also as a side note, color accuracy with OLED is a real challenge and changing brightness levels almost always adversely affects that. Anecdotally, the dimmer the display on the GB2, the less accurate it is. On my machine about 60% seems to be the sweet spot.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    WillAdams likes this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Thanks @desertlap - you hve finally given me a REAL measuring stick - "Slightly too small for productivity; slightly too large for tablet tasks." Seriously, this has been my actual thought process without articulating the issue correctly.

@JoeS - The best place to protect the nib IS IN A SILO IN THE TABLET. The do it with ease on the Note phones and Tab S 10.5 S-Pen model - what the h*** are they thinking not putting the yellow S-Pen in the body of the GB2 and then charging $99 as an over-priced accessory for the full size pen (with and eraser top - thank you). AND making a GB2 Pro with Intel specs...

I know everyone is tired of me long before now, but it is as simple as: silo, Silo, SIlo, SILo, SILO! silo, Silo, SIlo, SILo, SILO! silo, Silo, SIlo, SILo, SILO! silo, Silo, SIlo, SILo, SILO! silo, Silo, SIlo, SILo, SILO! silo, Silo, SIlo, SILo, SILO! silo, Silo, SIlo, SILo, SILO! silo, Silo, SIlo, SILo, SILO! silo, Silo, SIlo, SILo, SILO! silo, Silo, SIlo, SILo, SILO! silo, Silo, SIlo, SILo, SILO! silo, Silo, SIlo, SILo, SILO! silo, Silo, SIlo, SILo, SILO! silo, Silo, SIlo, SILo, SILO! silo, Silo, SIlo, SILo, SILO! silo, Silo, SIlo, SILo, SILO! silo, Silo, SIlo, SILo, SILO! silo, Silo, SIlo, SILo, SILO! silo, Silo, SIlo, SILo, SILO! silo, Silo, SIlo, SILo, SILO!

desertlap and dellaster like this.