User reviews Galaxy Book2 Windows on Arm

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by mgerbasio, Dec 4, 2018.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

True, but then again, imo nobody should buy it on purpose.. It rattles, it's too slippery, it's so light that it feels a little flimsy, and the secondary button is almost impossible to locate by touch. So maybe Samsung is trying to protect your wallet. :)

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

lol...i really wish I could find a rubberized nib that would fit my Toshiba pen TBH.
    I need a pen with an eraser button on top.

Also broke the nib in the SGB pen, and apparently Samsungs part supplier no longer sells the replacement nibs:(

3. JoeS

Today I learned: OpenVPN and Private Internet Access don't work on Windows on ARM. The TAP driver (terminal access point?) doesn't install.

Not being able to use VPN is bad, especially on a mobile device. I guess for secure browsing you'll have to use the built-in LTE or tether to your phone. The first is pricy (monthly fees) and the second is cumbersome.

Edit: although PIA doesn't install directly, apparently it's possible to use the Win10 VPN implementation to connect to PIA servers, see this reddit thread.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  4. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

That is bad news. I haven't had a need yet for public wifi as LTE has been great but that is certainly a concern. I use NordVPN on my Surface and Note9 and I know it won't install with Win10S.

5. JoeS

Yeah, I wonder if it's something as simple as recompiling a driver, or if getting a working driver on Win10 ARM requires a major rewrite somehow. I wish I understood more about all this stuff! :D

6. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

JoeS likes this.
  7. JoeS

Interesting, they explicitly list ARM support in the System Requirements page, so that's promising. At first glance I suspected they were a scam, because the app has many five star reviews with super fake looking reviews like "its great" "amazing" "it is cool". The service otoh is pretty well reviewed on thebestvpn.com, which does give a credible sounding review.

One concern I have is that they don't list which protocols are supported on which platform, so until they state somewhere that their ARM version supports OpenVPN I'd still be cautious. I was even going to ask them, and got this kind of ironic error:

upload_2019-1-26_10-46-58.png

8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just based on my companies experience I'd be really cautious about any VPN solution that isn't from one of the major vendors. It's really pretty easy to create a client, albeit one with built-in snoopware or malware.
    We have come across dozens of VPN apps from our customer base and I'd say 95% of them either don't really work or they actively harvest all kinds of data.

And the name alone gives me pause "hideme" . That being said I have no experience with it so it's personally speculation.

PS: The people responsible for the TOR browser are supposed to be working on an ARM version of their VPN client. I don't know the status but that might be worth looking in to. The TOR browser when you get it from the real source, is highly secure

JoeS likes this.
  9. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

It doesn't use OpenVPN it uses IKEv2.

10. JoeS

Interesting, I did some reading and have concluded that I don't know anything about VPNs.. :) Looks like IKEv2 is a key exchange protocol, which is then backed by another transport protocol. This post looks like it contains a lot of useful info, if only I could understand it.. At least I don't see many "the sky is falling don't use IKEv2" posts, so perhaps Hide.me on ARM is OK. If so, Hide.me should advertise the heck out of this, because it looks like there are few (any?) competitors that offer VPN on WOA at the moment.